New Processors beyond 6 cores?

dtal311

Beta member
Greetings,

I am looking to buy a new computer for graphic 3D rendering (photo real rendering). I need as many cores as I can get. Looking at XI computers and other manufactures who provide high end systems, I know that i7 and Xeon 6 core systems are now available.

What will be the next general release for processors - 8 core, 12 core or greater?

And what is the time frame for these releases?

I am not looking to build my own system and like having parts and services included when I purchase my systems.

Thanks

Daniel
edited for format

If you go with some of the higher end Xeon processors, you'll have plenty of horsepower. Some of the higher end Xeons have a lot of physical cores, but they also have Hyperthreading, which gives you a ton of extra logical cores, and can really help hammer through the workloads. I wouldn't look at anything less than a 2P (Two Processor) Xeon. You can get a mid-range speed grade (say, 2.66 GHz) and still have more than enough performance.

A 2P Quad Xeon server will have 2 (processors) x 4 (cores each) x 2 (Hyperthreading) threads (16 total)

Intel will release updates to the platform, coming out with octo cores sometime in the near future, but prices have stabilized and you can get a smoking fast system for relatively cheap right now. The 8 core chips will command a huge price premium.

Back
Top Bottom