New Power Supply for my CPU, will not turn on.

MNeidig

Beta member
Hello.

My CPU is the Dell XPS 410 Gaming Desktop. Recently, I went on a venture to upgrade its from the one it was purchased with, to this graphics card. I found out that with the current power supply, I would need a more powerful one to run the card.

I bought the APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply

I opened my computer, and removed the old graphics card. I then carefully removed all of the current supply's plugs and cables, making note of how many there were. I set thew new one inside, and plugged everything back in, and then the new graphics card. With everything in place, I believed I was done, but when I would turn the computer on, it would only stay on for a second before going out again.

I opened it back up to see if I had missed anything, and I realized that there was now an empty four-pin slot that had something plugged into it before that the new power supply simply can't accommodate.

So now, I'm at an impasse. Although I know I need to have a cord plugged into that empty slot, I'm not experienced with this, and I'm not one-hundred percent sure this is the problem. It seems as though the motherboard is no longer getting sufficient power.

If that's the case, and this supply lacks the cord I need, is this supply useless for my CPU, or can something be done?

If I have left something out, please tell me.

Note: Aside from adding memory, this would be the first major upgrade for this computer. It's specs would be the ones it was purchased with.

Thank you.

Is this what the plug looks like?
12v4pin.jpg

If so, your PSU should have come with an adapter that changes the 8-pin connector on your PSU (looks like the picture below) to a 4 pin connector (that fits what's pictured above).
p3.jpg

The adapter should look like this:
8%20pin%20to%204%20pin%20ATX%20mainboard%20power%20adapter.jpg

Your Apevia power supply has an 8 pin connector like this:

1714802209.jpg

It can be split so that it fits into the 4 pin ATX 12V plug on your motherboard.

Wow, I think that's it. I can't believe I missed that.

I've plugged it in, but I had to run out. I'm about to turn the computer on and see if that does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom