New PC - sound and modem queries

squavers

Beta member
Hi,

I'm more or less a novice when it comes to hardware so would appreciate any help here.

I've just bought a new PC for a mate of mine, it came without Windows installed, so I installed XP on it for him.

After XP had installed I discovered via the Control Panel that there is no modem installed.

I then installed NERO and tried to play a DVD movie and an audio CD, but they wouldn't work.

When trying to play the DVD I got the message...

Unable to play back audio. No sound device detected on your system. The movie will play but you will not hear any sound.

Then when I tried to play the DVD I got this message....

Due to patent license restrictions MPEG-2 encoding/decoding/playback is not available. This feature can be added by installing DVD-VIDEO Plug-In"

I tried to play an audio CD and got this message....

Cannot pay back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding.

I also got this Error message somewhere along the way...

Error ID = 0XC00D116A, Remedy ID = 0X00000000

Does this mean that there is actually no soundcard or modem in the machine at all, or could they be there and just need the drivers installing from the system disc?

When I bought it the site said there was a 56K Voice Fax and Data modem fitted and also an On-Board 6 Channel (5.1 Digital surround). Built in surround sound capablity.

Why is there no modem detected and do I need a soundcard?

Thanks in advance...

uh, check to see if there is a integrated sound card on the motherboard.

and if there is, go to device manager, and check to see if drivers are installed.

and to ur question

Does this mean that there is actually no soundcard or modem in the machine at all, or could they be there and just need the drivers installing from the system disc?

what do u mean there is no modem.
have you tried to connect to the internet?

Are you sure u have internet service? lol, not trying to be an a##hole, but just making sure.

what kind of internet connection do u have.

Just to be sure, i would buy a Sound Card and a Ethernet card and den install drivers and use them.

You lost the drivers for sound in the upgrade.
If you have a gateway,dell or compaq you can download the correct drivers from their web sites.
If its a custom unit you need to find out what sound system you have. Either call the seller or open the unit find the sound chip and search google for the name and number stamped on the sound chip.
Or try the windows update-they detect lots of hardware and will install the appropriate drivers for you.

Back
Top Bottom