New Mobo, Old Harddrive

Undermine2k

Beta member
Ok so i ordered a new mobo, cpu, and ram.

C13-2022 :: Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024)

MBM-975XP-Q6600 :: MSI 975X Platinum Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor 2.40GHz OEM

I have a problem though, I don't want to lose all the stuff on my harddrive and I don't want to buy a new one. Formatting is not an option,( lost windows cd) . What will happen when i plug in my new MOBO/ram/cpu and start it with the old HD which has the settings of my old computer?

Can i overwrite the mobo drivers?

Also please tell me that ram is compatible with that mobo.

First, which version of Windows and do you have your CD key?

Second, what is your old board?

If they were the same chipset it is possible to straight swap and boot with minor changes like m/board drivers. Most times you need to do a repair install of Windows. Worst case scenario is a full format.

Yes the memory is compatible

Im pretty much switching from AMD to Intel my old board was an A8n-SLI DELUXE, and my new one is the MSI. Socket 939 to Socket 775

And yes i still have the CD key

That's a big switch, I doubt you'll get away with it. Anyone you can borrow a disk from? At the very least I see a repair install, probably best to format imo

Whenever you switch mobos, reformat or not, you will have to reactivate Windows. So you need to find that CD and the key or buy a new OS. Maybe someone else has more help they can offer.

when i swapped my cpu mobo and ram out i didnt have to do anything. i stuck with amd so that might have been it (i went from 754 to am2). i just had to get rid of old drivers and install new ones. i may have gotten the thing that says i need to re-enter my xp key, but thats it. i was surprised at the ease of updating with the new hardware.

u know what easier, borrow or buy a new hard drive or maybe u have one laying around. set that one to master and set the one with all ur important stuff to slave. and then pop em both in and install windows on the opposite drive from ur files. then u can either keep it that way or copy them around and use the better one, u decide. works great i've done it plenty of times

Back
Top Bottom