New MDG

spearball

Solid State Member
My aunt just got a cheaper computer model very cheap from mdg and after a few days her computer started to overheat really badly. It shut down about 6 times while she was in windows and then finally decided to call me for help. I've already build over 10 computers so maybe i though i would be able to solve the problem. First thing i did was check her temps. CPU was no good at all. 80+ on idle! I reapplied some arctic silver 5 and temps did go down to about 45 - 48 idle (Which i still think is a little high all though the arctic silver did help). Full load now it goes to 60 -64. Finally i took a look at her case.... taking a look... i noticed something really funny. The case had NO intake or output fans. NONE! My question is do you guys think this is also part of her problem? I mean why would mdg build a computer without any case fans?

System specs...
Cpu: Intel pentium 4 515 prescott 2.9 ghz
1 gig of ram
onboard video
onboard sound
Turbo Link 350 watt PSU

Thanks

Yeah, get some good case fans, in the front, out the back. Or in the side & front, and out the back.

Depends on case as well. I once seen a case with nothing but a small vent in back with no place to mount a fan. These companies usually build the case and install power supplies as cheaply as possible so I would suggest getting like a sonata 2 that comes with a 450 watt power supply. Ever since the sonata 3 came out the sonata 2's are like $70

wow , i didnt think that artic 5 took so many degeris of .
are u going to have to cut a few holes in the case . that is the stupidest company ive ever heard of

They sound awesome in the flyers because they are so cheap and they get good deals from software companies so they usually throw in like a ton of office and money and tax programs and like 20 other pieces of software for free with there computers. They get legitimately good CPU's as well but the rest of there componants are garbage unless they specifically state it (ie. 2GB of kingston RAM, Seagate 500GB Hard Drive) and even then it is usually value ram. Also they use stock heatsinks with stock heatsink pads (thats right they don't even put on the 2$ putty they still use pads)

yer , but ud think that they would put one fan in.
but whats the point of buying a computer for 300 when u can only use it for 6 minutes

My aunt just got a cheaper computer model very cheap from mdg and after a few days her computer started to overheat really badly. It shut down about 6 times while she was in windows and then finally decided to call me for help. I've already build over 10 computers so maybe i though i would be able to solve the problem. First thing i did was check her temps. CPU was no good at all. 80+ on idle! I reapplied some arctic silver 5 and temps did go down to about 45 - 48 idle (Which i still think is a little high all though the arctic silver did help). Full load now it goes to 60 -64. Finally i took a look at her case.... taking a look... i noticed something really funny. The case had NO intake or output fans. NONE! My question is do you guys think this is also part of her problem? I mean why would mdg build a computer without any case fans?

System specs...
Cpu: Intel pentium 4 515 prescott 2.9 ghz
1 gig of ram
onboard video
onboard sound
Turbo Link 350 watt PSU

Thanks

MDG are by far the worst computer seller / builder in Canada. They build their computers without fans to cut costs. Yes, the lack of any case fans IS a huge problem.

Wow thanks guys yes i will buy a new case but here is something else i just spotted that you guys probably will laugh at..... I noticed that her motherboard main connector is a 24 pin atx and the power supply they put in is ONLY 20. Only 20 pins are connected. I mean i really freaked when i saw that. Shouldn't a 24 pin be plugged in as well as the 4 pin connector next to the cpu?

It seems, showing the massive drop, that they didn't even bother to fit very good thermal compound either, and for a case with no fans, that huge drop is actually really impressive.

You better do what people are saying and fit one outtake, and one intake.

Its not like fans are expensive either, cheapskates... they cost like £5 for a good one (around 9-10 dollars?)

As for the power supply, its not a big problem, and won't cause an issue, but yeah, its not advisable.

If they skimped on fans, they've probably skimped on the power supply too...

Back
Top Bottom