New laptop for work

d_source

Daemon Poster
Hi everyone. My boss told me to search for a new laptop for work. I dont really have a good knowledge on laptops, so i ask ur advice.
I guess i can get pretty much anything. The price range shouldnt exceed $3000 CAD (even that may be too much). What it should have and what we need for work is this:
-Powerful processor (I would hope for a dual core).
-These guys here are Intel based, so i believe we need to stick with that. Plus its a work computer so i need it for multitasking (which i believe Intel's are slightly better than AMD in that area anyways).
-It should have a lot and FAST memory. (1-2gb)
-video isnt a priority for the work we do, but it should have at least an average (decent video card).
-needs to be wireless.
-HDD, prob about 100gb or so. We store everything on the network, not much stays actually on anyones PC.
-not sure if i forgot anything else important.

We'll prob get 2 of these bad boys as well. Like i said, i dont know much about laptops, desktops i know. and its not somehting we'll be building, it should come complete. We've been loooking at IBM thinkpad's. I believe these guys wanna stay away from Dell b/c of poor performance issues in the past.
Anyways, company names and processor types would be of a great help.

THX.

Right one question, if everything is stored on network, why need a big hard drive?

Ude check out DELL if I was you, that would prob be the best bet, intel, you can get dual core, can get fast memory, and defo get wireless. Go on dell and see what you can find,

actually i dont think 100gb is a large HDD at all. Plus HDD's are cheap nowadays. Maybe i am thinking desktop and its different for laptop.

I'll see what Dell has to offer, but like i said, i dont think they want to go with Dell b/c of troubles in the past.

100GB is plenty for most people!!

I'm running off a 30gb partition... and well...I could have done with 40GB.

But yeah, Laptops are alot different than PC's and can't be updated easily anyway, so going with a pre-made company like DELL won't really matter. Plus, they can make some good laptops.

i agree dell would be a good choice in this situation and laptop hard drives are much more expensive than a pc hard drive

OK, so ur all saying Dell, can someone point me to a good laptop from Dell? Like i said, it needs to be very fast so it should have a good processor and alot of fast memory. HDD of 40GB will do just fine as well.

Just found out that we can only buy from IBM. So i am gonna gett the list of thinkpads taht we are allowed to purchase and go from there.
No need for software, our company buys a huge license of everything that we use regularly, including offie suite running on WInXP pro.

Back
Top Bottom