New laptop or upgrade HDD in existing one?

mikee

Fully Optimized
Ok so I have a little dilemma. I have a early 2008 HP dv6700... something don't know the exact model but it has a core 2 duo T5550 1.83 Ghz, 3 Gb ram, 350Gb HDD, Intel GMA X3100, bootleg windows 7 ultimate (used to have vista HP but key wore off and is unreadable).

I was wondering if it would be worth while to upgrade the HDD to something bigger since I would like to have more space 250gig is not really enough for my stuff anymore. Also the battery is not holding a very decent charge anymore about half an hour and goes from full charge to completely dead in a week if it just sits turned off. I do light gaming ie minecraft but it doesn't run too well but I used optifine to make it run faster. And the bearing in the cooling fan is starting to go I think as well it was making an awful noise a while ago so I took the whole heatsink assembly apart and oiled the fan and its working quiet now but for how long I wonder

I guess my dilemma is do I upgrade the HDD and replace the battery now or the other option is wait until december and buy a new laptop.

Buy a new one.

What you can get in a new laptop these days for $500.00 will blow your mind.

I just bought a Sony notebook with an i5 3210m 3.1GHz cpu, 6GB of DDR3, HD 4000 graphics, that runs Metal of Honor at 40fps.

Dropped in an SSD, and it boots in 13 seconds flat. The thing is faster than a lot of desktops!

It's always easy to spend other peoples money, but based on the age, it's probably time to find a new one.

Thank you for your input I'll probably invest in a new one around Christmas time.

I would not consider buying a sony though they are over priced. Maybe asus or HP or toshiba they seem to be decent

Personally experience and opinion says to stay away from Toshiba.

Asus and HP are good though (again in my personal experience and opinion).

It's always easy to spend other peoples money, but based on the age, it's probably time to find a new one.

I'm not sure why the comment, "it's easy to spend other people's money" ?

The OP asked for an opinion regarding upgrading his present laptop, or buying a new one. I suggested buying new, for the same reasons that you did. So why that comment?

Just buy a new one. It's easier. Always go with Sony.

Of course brand affiliation is always a matter of personal choice. As the OP said, Sony is usually priced a little higher than their competitors. I acquire Sony for two reasons. One, I often find their products a cut above in quality. They generally design, and manufacture a more elegant product.

Second, and perhaps more important, I don't pay for Sony products, I get them for free with the Chase Sony Card, so it's a no brainer.

LOL.

I say it's always easy to spend other peoples money because it is. It wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. Its easy for us to sit here and say 'buy a new one' without giving it much thought (at least when I saw the year and specs I didn't).

But depending on the OP's situation it might not be that simple. It was just a general comment that I use before suggesting to anyone (online or otherwise) that it's time for an upgrade. One of those cliche type sayings I guess....

Ahhh, ok, now I understand. Text is such a sterile environment. It's often difficult to determine someone's intent. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Back
Top Bottom