New Laptop for studies, Help?

animatedadam

Beta member
I will be using this during University and planning on using programmes like photoshop and some 3d programmes. So whatever upgrades people think are worth upgrading.
The main one Im undecided is the ram, 4gb to 6gb and the blu ray drive. I'm quite keen on the display and graphics card since I'll be doing digital painting so good quality screen a must :) I'd like this to last me a while and this is looking like a great alternative to a macbook pro, since its got a better spec at £700 cheaper.
This is a link to the laptop- the cheaper of the 2, i don't think I'll need a quad core processor not at £300 more anyway.

https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/shop/VAIO-Laptop-PCs/F-Series-16-4?config=x&csint=14003207

All upgrades work out a mark up to £1079 from original £849
Upgrade ram from 4gb to 6gb for an extra £50
Blu-ray disc drive for an extra £50
1gb gfx card extra £50 (original 512mb)
Upgrade LCD to 1920x1080 from 1600x900 for extra £80 (Can only have the better resolution with 1gb gfx card)

As above I can only upgrade the screen if I go with the larger Graphics card.

Also does anyone know if sony do a student discount on laptops?

Thank you.

I will be using this during University and planning on using programmes like photoshop and some 3d programmes. So whatever upgrades people think are worth upgrading.
The main one Im undecided is the ram, 4gb to 6gb and the blu ray drive. I'm quite keen on the display and graphics card since I'll be doing digital painting so good quality screen a must :) I'd like this to last me a while and this is looking like a great alternative to a macbook pro, since its got a better spec at £700 cheaper.
This is a link to the laptop- the cheaper of the 2, i don't think I'll need a quad core processor not at £300 more anyway.

https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/shop/VAIO-Laptop-PCs/F-Series-16-4?config=x&csint=14003207

All upgrades work out a mark up to £1079 from original £849
Upgrade ram from 4gb to 6gb for an extra £50
Blu-ray disc drive for an extra £50
1gb gfx card extra £50 (original 512mb)
Upgrade LCD to 1920x1080 from 1600x900 for extra £80 (Can only have the better resolution with 1gb gfx card)

As above I can only upgrade the screen if I go with the larger Graphics card.

Also does anyone know if sony do a student discount on laptops?

Thank you.

macmacmacmac. Windows for graphic design is like washing your clothes in puke

What despite its got less graphics card/ hard drive/ ram and ends up £400 more?
I really can't justify it, even though I do want one. Or is it worth waiting till 2011?

Back
Top Bottom