New Laptop

David95

Solid State Member
Hi guys,
i'm starting university in October, and i need a laptop for developing websites and apps.

What specs would be best for this?

Thanks.

• A core I3 or I5 CPU.
    CPU performance isn't that important for web development. As long it's up to date, you are good
  • 8 gig RAM.
    almost any mid class laptop these days comes with 8 gig
  • A 7200 RPM harddrive as storage.
    i can't stand using 5400 RPM drives anymore. Those drives puts my patience to a test.
  • If possible a boot SSD.
    That's gonna make your system feel much faster. Just be aware how much space it has. Most laptops with an SSD are simply way to small in my opinion.
  • Full HD display.
    I see this as important because most people that are gonna access your website have a 1080p display. So you need to know how they are gonna see the site.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

ohh,
And any mobile GPU will do

Thank you for all the advice.
I will take into account the advice you have said when i get a laptop.
:)

Full HD display.
I see this as important because most people that are gonna access your website have a 1080p display. So you need to know how they are gonna see

Could not agree with this more. I work as a software engineer. My work laptop has a screen with a 1366x768 which is terrible for any kind of IDE (doesn't seem to matter which) for development. When I don't travel for work I have it hooked up to a monitor as there'd be no way to develop on a screen that small for anything more than a few days.

I personally prefer 7200rpm drives as well but be aware of the fact that they use more power and may effect the battery uptime of the laptop. It's a bit of a trade off, better performance vs slightly less battery uptime.

An ssd is the best of both worlds, uses less power and has better performance which is why I have a 500GB ssd in my laptop. The drawback is that an ssd is more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom