New Hard Drive/OS Dual Boot?

Oh I am, am I??, you'll be confused yourself if you don't watch it [again]

well, as I said you told the original poster to moderate his posts, which (at least to me) sounds like he did something he shouldn't have done. But at least from my point of view he didn't do anything wrong.

I really want to get a new 500 GB HD.

Go for it!

I am so curious if there is a way to squeeze out dx10 from my card on xp. Doesn't sound like it though. I just don't want to spend the $ or time to go out and buy windows vista, use that ghost program to transfer all my files and programs from drive to drive, gah, just sounds like a total pain in the arse.

No you can not have DX10 on XP. It is a Vista exclusive. It is possible down the road maybe some programmers will find a way to implement DX10 on XP but it will be a hack. Microsoft has a firm standpoint that DX10 will be exclusive to Vista mainly because there trying to do away with XP and make Vista the normal OS.

See my other post on the subject of DX10.1 in celegorms thread regarding DX10 and DX10.1 I think you have a mis understanding of how it works and what it works with.

Actually, there is something I have been wanting to do for a while, Id either make that my c drive and transfer everything and get vista on that one, but still keep my current drive with xp on it, and have dual OS? I can just change the boot drive as necessary, but my mobo k9n diamond automatically makes me choose the os to enter. Im really interested, because my 300GB c drive is on the brink of capacity, and so is my 250GB external seagate. Any easy recommended ways of doing this? GREATLY appreciated!!!!

This is how I run my dual boot. I have Vista Ultimate on my one harddrive. Then I have XP on my other harddrive. I use 137gigs for the primary on my XP then use the rest for media storage.

If I want to boot into XP I load the boot manager at startup and select the drive that has XP on it.

Otherwise it loads Vista and i'm good to go. Vista has password protect sharing between harddrives so you can setup your documents folder from both Vista and XP to transition to where you want them.

I have mine targeted at the media drive partition so all my music/videos etc go to the same location. It doesn't matter if i'm in Vista or XP I can access any document created in either. Please not you will need to have a compatible program in each say i'm using excel in XP for some documents I won't be able to view them in Vista unless I have Excel installed on Vista.

I find it best even though you have software programs or games installed on one drive its best to install the software on both OS's. Some things its not a problem but a game can cause issue's. Like it won't access the file because the target is in the wrong paramaters. That means like BF2 or something I have installed on my primary in both XP and Vista.

yeah. They will both be ntfs partitions (unless you want to use fat32 with XP, but I don't recommend that.) so there shouldn't be any problems.
Lol, Thanks. What does it matter what type? I heard something about FAT32 cant handle files larger than 6 GB or something, I tried transferring my torrent DL, "L*** Pl**et.ISO to my external HD (fat32) and it said file was too big, and I had 30 free GB's :/

well, as I said you told the original poster to moderate his posts, which (at least to me) sounds like he did something he shouldn't have done. But at least from my point of view he didn't do anything wrong.
You're in the minority I think mate!

Hey Brookfield I think this is the post everyone is talking about. I see nothing wrong with GhostFl's post.

yep, that was the useless post.

Brookfield, you still seem to think there is something wrong in ghost's post?
Could you please tell us what is wrong with it, I don't see how it can be pointless since he has just asked questions he needs help with.

ghostFL said:
Lol, Thanks. What does it matter what type? I heard something about FAT32 cant handle files larger than 6 GB or something, I tried transferring my torrent DL, "L*** Pl**et.ISO to my external HD (fat32) and it said file was too big, and I had 30 free GB's :/

I think the max that fat32 supports is 4gb. There are also some other things that make ntfs better, but the file size limit is definitely one of the biggest problems with fat32.

I've never used a samsung hd before. I like my 400gig Seagate also 7200rpm 16mb cache with perpendiclar recording. I'd find you a link but i'm updating a game right now. Might be few dollars more but will be a slightly faster drive. Western digital also makes a good harddrive.

Again there may be nothing wrong with the one you selected I've just never used one.

That version of Vista should be the best overall version for the average user. Make sure you download all your Vista 64bit drivers before you install that way you don't have to go looking after you install vist

Back
Top Bottom