New Graphics Card Required

OneWizard

Baseband Member
I have just recently got myself a new pc... specs are:

AMD XP2800+
Gigabyte 7N400-L Mobo
512mb Corsair Value RAM

but i have an old MX440 graphics card...

Now i have been reading up on the graphics card scene and everyone is saying get a ATI 9800pro...no matter wahat brand as long as it is 256 bit memory...

I just read on Tom's Hardware that a new Nvidia 6600 GT is coming soon and could possibiliy be better than the 9800pro...

Do you guys reckon i should hang on an see how the 6600GT goes in testing before investing $400AUD on the 9800pro?

Thanks,

1Wiz

you wont be able to get the 6600 card. too bad. It is only going to be coming out in PCI Express standard is what I have read.

Its only going to be 150 bucks and totally wastes the x600. I wish they will release a AGP version.

I am guessing they will since the demand will be extremely high. And Nvidia will discover the error of their ways.

It wont be out for a bit of time though. A 9800 pro wont even compare with the features of the 6600.

reading on tom's hardware it says it will be PCI express but then the AGP 8x will come out...

so you reckon the 6600GT will beat the crap out of 9800pro? but i thought the ATI one has more vertex shaders 4 to 3...does it make a difference...

although i did notice the DDR3 memory on the GT...

how much do you reckon it will be when it comes out in Australian dollars?

Australian MSRP will be around $280 to $300 i am guessing.

That only comes from a straight exchange from $199 US. So i would guess around $300 or a bit more.

And yes it says it will come with ddr3.

here...check out this link...

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040812/index.html

at the bottom, it says, initially released for PCIex but AGP 8x version will come out afterwards... i mean it would be really crazy if Nvidia didn't release it...cause if 6600GT is going to be a hit which looks like it will be, then they should make the most of it especially considering everyone at the moment is getting a 9800pro...

oh yeah they also said late semptember for these cards. So if you are correct when you say they will have agp too later on that could be november or december. A 9800 256mb model is not much cheaper than a regualr 6800 128mb card

I would go with one of those. I currently got one yesterday but it was DOA so i have to wait to get new one.

Even though its a 128mb its still twice as fast as the 9800.

well if you want to save your self a bunch of money. Its all a matter of preference and monitor size. If your monitor goes to 1600x1200 and beyond then you may want to get the gt. The ultra is kinda clumsy I wouldnt get it.

If your monitor is smaller than the benifit of a gt or ultra will dramitically decrease. If i had a 1600x1200 monitor i would probably go with the gt.

Back
Top Bottom