New graphics card

armlesscorps

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I really need your expertise!

I am wishing to upgrade my emachines 770 it has a geforce mx 440 and TriGem IM845G (Imperial) motherboard and was wondering whether this graphics cards

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=306680

would fit into my computer? I am not sure what slot the motherboard has except it is an AGP slot, another poster suggested it was agp x4. Do all AGP cards fit into all AGP slots regardless of whether they are x4 x2 x8 etc? Im after a 6600gt preferably.

Would I get sufficient benefit from these to make them worth purchasing over the cheaper geforce 6200 graphics cards that are available? I am after graphics cards as least as 'good' as an standard fx 5900. I would like ideally to spend about 30-40 quid (i can definitely go up to 80 quid) and the 6200 graphics cards seem ok but is it way better for me to spend an extra 30 quid for a 6600 gt? I am considering buying a 9800pro also but cant find any on all the sites iv tried that are AGP, any links to cheap AGP 6600 GTs or 9800 pros or decent 6200's or other decent cards would be helpful:)

thanks a bunch in advance

Get the 7600GS that Atomic Rooster posted, but since you only have AGP 4x, it's power won't be fully utilized since it is capable of up to AGP 8x. You may want to upgrade your motherboard to support AGP 8x.

What are the rest of your system specs? And what do you want to do with the computer?

if he has to upgrade his mobo, he might as well get one with pci-e. just my oppion tho.

but that 7600 would be a nice upgrade.

thanks guys

I dont want to buy anything except a new gfx card. I just want to get a new better card for games and my main concern is whether or not the linked cards will fit.
Do 8x cards fit into 4x slots? I cant seem to find an answer to this anywhere.
thanks in advance. Im ideally after teh cards I linked if i can find out whether they would fit into my computer. However just out of interest, how does the 7800gs that was linked compare to the 6600gt I linked or this 7300GT

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=258269

If anyone has any direct links to 6600gts for sale that explicity say they fit into 4x slots that would be ace.

thanks in advance

Yes, they do fit, altho the performance isn't as good as it would be on an 8x. not exactly sure why, but i belive it has something to do wiht the electronics of it all.

also check the psu is good enough to support the new grapics card

Back
Top Bottom