New gaming PC - Did I make good choices?

Justinator

Beta member
Hello,

This is my first post here and I recently ordered a custom gaming PC from a local shop who gave me a decent price.

As of a couple weeks ago I didn't even know what a CPU, GPU, or a PSU was. LOL. I have done allot of reading and now find myself with a much better understand of building a good gaming PC.

I didn't want to build it myself and wanted all the responsibility to be on someone else's shoulders.

I know I could have made a couple better choices but I had to work with what was available to me.

I'd like to get a few opinions on my build whether they be positive or negative. :p

MoBo: ASUS P8PZ68-V LE

RAM: Kingston DDR3 8GB 1333 (2x 4gb sticks)

Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700 watt 80+ certified

CPU: i5 2500k

GPU: Sapphire HD 6950 2GB (Dirt 3 Edition)

HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3

SSD : Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA 3

O/S : Windows 7 64-BIT SP1

LG: DVD burner

LG: Multi card reader

Looks good! There's really not anything I'd change, except maybe going without the SSD, as it really isn't necessary. I'd rather spend the money on upgraded graphics. This is just nitpicking though, it's a great build.

The Intel SSD's are pretty solid, but they're not the fastest in the world. If you can get a SandForce based drive, I think you'll be happier.

I own both an Intel and Corsair (with Sandforce) SSD, and I prefer the SandForce based card hand over fist. It's so much faster.

I'd also seriously consider a DDR3 1333 or 1600 set from G.Skill. You can get 8 GB of RAM for less than $55 these days from those guys, and they are almost always rated 5/5 online. If all you can get is Kingston, then that doesn't matter much. I used to tell folks that upgrading to 8GB of RAM vs 4 was stupid silly, but with pricing being as long as it is, it's hard to say that anymore these days.

Back
Top Bottom