New computer, need parts advice!

Hmm, that was very helpful, thanks. I think I'm going to just rule out the i7's now, and make it between a C2Q and a P2.

Is there any general advice on chipsets and mobos, brands/models to steer away from or to look for? Also, I'm curious about hard drives, of the main brands like Seagate, WD, and Hitachi, any recommendations?

Hmm, that was very helpful, thanks. I think I'm going to just rule out the i7's now, and make it between a C2Q and a P2.

Is there any general advice on chipsets and mobos, brands/models to steer away from or to look for? Also, I'm curious about hard drives, of the main brands like Seagate, WD, and Hitachi, any recommendations?

Also, what exactly are the "black edition" processors, what's the difference?

If you decide to go with a C2Q, I'd pick up a P45 board, they're much more affordable than the X48s and offer 95% of the features.
For Phenom, the 790GXs are probably the boards to go for.

As for the HDD, I'm happy with my Samsung drive, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that.
Also, what exactly are the "black edition" processors, what's the difference?
It means the CPU features an unlocked multiplier which means better overclocking.

Is there any difference between the 790GX and 790FX? If so, what is it?

PII FTW.....I got one and have never been happier....If you pair it with the 790GX you will be VERY HAPPY...I promise....

I never really was into overclocking at all but the way the PII and the 790GX give you so many options its really hard not to....There is so many options that come with it that it is made for anybody to do....There is 2 different overclocking software's that comes with it (AMD overdrive and TSeries overclockers) that work REALLY well as well as a dummy setting in the BIOS that will do it for you as well. (3 options in BIOS v6 v8 and v12 and just like a car the bigger you go the more you get) Or you can do it like me and go for the BIOS settings your self and test out what you can get. I got my PII 920 to 3.6 with stock heatsink but backed it off 24/7 stable to 3.44 Ghz.....Im sure with an aftermarket cooler I could easily get 3.8 -4.0 Ghz...So I am really wondering what the 940 BE is capable of with the unlocked multiplier....I know I have seen many people getting 4.0 with it not even trying and seen it at 6.5 Ghz on youtube when it broke the record....

Go with the PII you will not be dissapointed for the price you pay its unbeatable......:D:D:D

Yeah, I'm pretty settled on a 940 BE now, I'm just settling on a mobo now. What are you using, poker?

Also, just some things to make sure it'll all work and all, I'm planning on popping in my current 600W power supply and my nVidia 8600 GTS. Those'll both work ok, right?

This is the board I got because with the combo deal I basically got it for free. I think it was like 39.99 with combo then 10 MIR at the time so I couldn't pass it up... As far as the PSU and GPU I believe they will both work fine with the board...I got a HIS 4870 and a 700w OCZ in my rig...:D:D

It's a big improvement, SB600 was very outdated and seriously hampered Phenom's overclocking.
If you can't afford a 790FX/SB750 board, I'd recommend you go with a 790GX like Poker suggested rather than a 790FX/SB600.

You can read up on it here: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3360
Is there any difference between the 790GX and 790FX? If so, what is it?
The 790FX has 48 PCI-E lanes, which means it supports 4-way Crossfire, whilst the 790GX only has 16 PCI-E lanes, and supports 8x+8x Crossfire.

Back
Top Bottom