New build, will these parts work?

Will they work? Yes. But with a bios update and IF the motherboard works to begin with based on the reviews.

Either of these systems would be far better.
ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 Barebone

MSI G31M3-L Barebone

And on a , Nvidia 9500GT, or an ATI 4670. Also make sure that you get a decent DVD burner.

by the way, that GTS 250 was a major bottleneck to rest of your previous build.
I want to build a gaming system. How would I get a better system if I got that second build? It's a slower version of the processor I had picked out, and then if I paired that with a worse video card, how would that be better? And from what I understood, the AMD was worse unless you got a phenom. I just don't see how my computer can bottle neck that card :-/

I don't know... I researched some benchmarks, and it looks like the pentium dual core (NOT pentium D) outperforms the AMD in most applications, mainly gaming. So I'm stickin with intel.

I want to build a gaming system. How would I get a better system if I got that second build? It's a slower version of the processor I had picked out, and then if I paired that with a worse video card, how would that be better? And from what I understood, the AMD was worse unless you got a phenom. I just don't see how my computer can bottle neck that card :-/

Well first off, the motherboard you had picked out worse than sucked based on the ratings. And the rest of the system bottlenecked the card because that card is several times more powerful than the rest of the system. When you build a system, it needs to balanced. Something your build was not.

Well first off, the motherboard you had picked out worse than sucked based on the ratings. And the rest of the system bottlenecked the card because that card is several times more powerful than the rest of the system. When you build a system, it needs to balanced. Something your build was not.

OK, well, I revised it a bit, and I added a pentium dual core running @ 2.8ghz. That should be plenty, and the FSB is 1066 rather then 800. Is that decent? And like I stated, I want a gaming computer. The GPU is the most important part. Also, I plan on upgrading to a quad core in the future when I have some more money.

I don't know... I researched some benchmarks, and it looks like the pentium dual core (NOT pentium D) outperforms the AMD in most applications, mainly gaming. So I'm stickin with intel.
And like I stated, I want a gaming computer.
From Anandtech: "If you're building a gaming box however, the recommendation shifts entirely the other way. The Athlon X2 7850 is the clear winner in gaming performance, significantly outperforming the E5300. In gaming tests the E5300 is simply too cache starved and without an on-die memory controller, each trip to main memory is too costly to compete with the 7850."
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3554&p=10

From Anandtech: "If you're building a gaming box however, the recommendation shifts entirely the other way. The Athlon X2 7850 is the clear winner in gaming performance, significantly outperforming the E5300. In gaming tests the E5300 is simply too cache starved and without an on-die memory controller, each trip to main memory is too costly to compete with the 7850."
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3554&p=10

Two things to say about this.

1.) Anandtech tends to favor ATI and AMD in alot of their reviews. Therefore I feel that those benchmarks are slightly slanted

2.) The E5300 has excellent overclock capabilities. I think I'm gonna stick with the pentium dual core. I just like the way it feels. I'm just an intel guy. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I feel it is more consistent in response.

As for the motherboard, that one was slightly horrible :p I'm looking for another, but I am not entirely sure what to look for. Here is one I found...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131178

Should that one be sufficient?

1.) Anandtech tends to favor ATI and AMD in alot of their reviews. Therefore I feel that those benchmarks are slightly slanted

2.) The E5300 has excellent overclock capabilities. I think I'm gonna stick with the pentium dual core. I just like the way it feels. I'm just an intel guy. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I feel it is more consistent in response.

As for the motherboard, that one was slightly horrible :p I'm looking for another, but I am not entirely sure what to look for. Here is one I found...

That motherboard is significantly better than the other one you had selected. It's an ASUS and ratings aren't that bad. You should be happy with it.

That's not a bad board. It's no overclocker though. If you want to push that E5300 any (and maybe upgrade to a quad later on), I would suggest something with an Intel P45 chipset.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L

ASUS P5Q SE PLUS

Those are a very good overclockers and good boards in general. You would be much happier with them if you decide to overclock alot.
I'm not really a big overclocker. Not to confident with my skills in it, and I don't really see a decent cause for it. I might tinker a bit, but that's all. Also, I'm trying to stay more around the $70 mark, $100 is just too much right now. I only have $350 to work with, and spending a third of that on a mobo would just be overkill. Also, I'm pretty much hellbent on getting a GTS250, so that takes around $110.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157137

How about that board? It looks like the E5300 should work on it according to the reviews. Also, it has a newer chipset, and the instant boot sounds awesome. I think this might be the board I'll get.

I'm not really a big overclocker. Not to confident with my skills in it, and I don't really see a decent cause for it. I might tinker a bit, but that's all. Also, I'm trying to stay more around the $70 mark, $100 is just too much right now. I only have $350 to work with, and spending a third of that on a mobo would just be overkill. Also, I'm pretty much hellbent on getting a GTS250, so that takes around $110.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157137

How about that board? It looks like the E5300 should work on it according to the reviews. Also, it has a newer chipset, and the instant boot sounds awesome. I think this might be the board I'll get.

Well I assumed you were big into the overclocking business since you kept saying how the E5200/5300 overclock so well. But if you're not doing much or any overclocking, I suggest that you go with the ASUS you had listed earlier. ;)

This.

Back
Top Bottom