New Build, HD not recognized

juice8j

Beta member
I'm building my first computer. I have a SATA connected hard drive and I'm having problems installing vista ultimate, as it will not recognize my hard drive.

0625091713.jpg

If I go to "Load Drivers" from this screen and go to browse, C:\ is an option. However if I select it, it says it is not formatted and gives me the option to format it. If I click format, I get an error message.

0625091739.jpg

Is this just a problem in the BIOS, or do I need a driver, or what?

Thank you for any help.

__________________________________________________ ___________________
- GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
- AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
- CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power
- OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
- GIGABYTE GV-R487D5-1GD Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
- PLEXTOR 20X DVD Super Multi Qflix Drive Black SATA Model PX-806SA SW
- NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Check your BIOS. If the SATA controller is set as "ACHI" or "RAID" change it. Depending on the BIOS, it should say "Legacy" or "IDE" for the option you want.

celegorm is right, you hd is not broken

i had the same problem on one of my builds

it is a setting in bios you have to change

if you really can't get it, just call your mobo manufacturer and they will know

What specific BIOS settings should be changed for the HDD to show up? Also, do I need to format the HDD first, and if so - How?

Usually it's in the chipset settings, othertimes in the "disk" area of BIOS. The specific setting name (and the menu it's in) varries by board. Best I can really say is to look around for the term "SATA"

No, there is no need to format the drive. Windows will take care of that as part of the install process.

Just a shot in the dark...you have two cables connected to the hard disk correct? Power and SATA.

[edit]

I just noticed your detail component list...forgive me for asking such a question. I doubt you would have missed that.

Back
Top Bottom