New build

iffy

In Runtime
I want to build a system and was wondering what I should be aiming for. I watch alot of videos and thats really it. I do however want to build a system that will last some time.
Please make suggestions as to what components I should install.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
This processor is a dual core 65nm part that that provides superiour performance to a similarly priced Intel part straight out of the box. If you're not an overclocker and you're on a budget, AMD is the way to go.

Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
This is AMD's newly released 780G chipset. It integrates the HD 3200 graphics chip which is the most powerful integrated graphics processor by far which is more than capable of Blu-Ray/HD playback and will help out your CPU a lot during encoding. But that is not the best bit, the HD 3200 is already good enough to do some casual gaming, but it can also be paired using hybrid Crossfire with a HD 3000 series graphics card for almost double the performance. And Foxconn are a reliable brand you can rely on.

Memory: WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
This is where we can save some money by going for some memory that is perfectly adequete for this build but is not designed for overclocking. DDR2 is at a very low price at the moment so we can afford PC2 6400 RAM. 2x1GB is the sweet spot right now.

PSU: Antec Basiq BP500UB 500W ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply
The PSU is an extremely important part of any computer and should not be ignored or skimped on even when you're on a budget. This power supply will provide sufficient power and there is enough headroom left for upgrading., all at a great price.

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower
This is a case I will often recommend as a cheap but cheerful chassis. It comes with a 120mm exhaust fan but can also accomodate a 120mm intake fan for better airflow and cooling.

HDD: Here the choice is dependant on the user's requirements. If you're not sure where to start. Here are some requirements:
-SATA 3.0GB/s interface. This is the new interface standard and is a lot faster than the older PATA/IDE connection.
-Brand, I recommend either Western Digital, Samsung, or Seagate hard drives.
-Cache, even with a low capacity hard drive, I would recommend at least an 8MB cache.
As for the space, that is entirely dependant on the user's requirements.
Here is just one small suggestion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148261

Disk Drive: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R
You can't really go wrong here but the Samsung drives are known to be reliable. SATA means nice, neat cables.

TOTAL: $362
Rebates included: $322

yeah nothing fancy id focus on a good cpu and a good motherboard and maybe some large hdd this rig looks great just an OS needs to be faactored in and you need a bit larger hdd but that one is fine.

If I was to use my existing 40gig hdd, would it work with the new motherboard? And would I need to install a new version of windows?

That build looks good. I do believe the Kingston ram is like $2 more. Its a little more name brand.

If I was to use my existing 40gig hdd, would it work with the new motherboard? And would I need to install a new version of windows?
It should work. You would have to reinstall windows so that it recognizes the hardware.

Also, What version of windows do you have? OEM or retail? Did this come off a computer you built? Or bought? If it came preinstalled I dont think you can transfer it to another computer.

That build looks good. I do believe the Kingston ram is like $2 more. Its a little more name brand.

It should work. You would have to reinstall windows so that it recognizes the hardware.

Also, What version of windows do you have? OEM or retail? Did this come off a computer you built? Or bought? If it came preinstalled I dont think you can transfer it to another computer.

You don't necessarily have to reinstall XP....I switched to a new comp with an old HDD and it worked fine...hardware was radically different as well....

its highly recommended that you reinstall windows.
its bad to have previous drivers and install new ones.
Unless its like the same exact chipset, graphics card, etc.

I experience a huge lag, and its best just to reinstall windows.

If you got the money you could go 4GB of RAM and Windows Vista. From the little I've worked with Vista I found it great for media stuff. Specially if you like the looks. It will hog your memory, but with 4GB that should be enough for you to keep many things running. Out of worshipme's build I would switch out the CPU and RAM for better ones:

G.Skill 4GB (2x2) 800MHz - $65 (down $40 from $105 with instant discounts)

AMD Athlon 64X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0Ghz - $93

Windows Vista 64-bit
- $222 (Retail for reinstalling; not sure if it's 64. Could anyone check?)

Again, I know the OS is a big addition to cost, but again, I liked it for media and for looks. You could always wait for Windows 7 though.

Windows Vista 64-bit - $222 (Retail for reinstalling; not sure if it's 64. Could anyone check?)
You can install an OEM copy, I've done it countless times. OEM copy is identical to retail except it has to be ordered with hardware. Vista 64 bit OEM.

Back
Top Bottom