New adapter can't connect to router...

Movieguy

Baseband Member
I just recently bought a linksys USB adapter, model WUSB11 for my new HP computer, after a bizzare problem with my old adapter. This one loaded with all the software with no problem. Whenever I tried to run the CD, I'd just get a flash of a purple window for a second, then it would vanish. But, when I plugged in the adapter, it seemed to be able to install the stuff from the CD. I have XP on my new computer.

The computer downstairs, a Compaq with XP, has a netgear router connected through road runner, which I've been able to access with my old netgear adapter for an internet connection to my old computer upstairs. However, while the new Linksys can detect the netgear router, it can't connect to it. It keeps giving me a "Network cable unplugged" message when I bring up the network connections folder.

I know the router's connection is encrypted, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to configure my new adapter to go past that encryption, if that's even possible.

Could somebody give me some help here?

Is it wireless?

If not, it could be a faulty wire somewhere along the line causing this error message, though you said it worked before you replaced it?

I found this response in a forum who were getting the same error message with the same gear :) :

"I have been having same tbles and thru searches of google to different sites like this one, I chose to change my uplink cat-5 crossover cable, from linksys router to netgear router, with a different one crossover. It appears to have solved this issue. I haven't gotten error message. My one cable removed was a defective one. Five Pc's in system were getting message, so I was able to isolate with one it was cuzz it happen in both router internets. Thanks all for messages and responses which led me in the right direction to fix my "network cables is unplugged" ... It was driving me crazy...lol "

I hope this helps. Though I have no idea what a crossover cable is. I'll have to check if you don't know

No, it's a wireless router as well as an adapter...

I searched the inside of the Linksys CD using the explore command, and I'm not convinced I got everything off of it. I can't open the setup for some reason, even though it says on the box that the device was designed for Windows XP.

Is there a way to simply extract the files from the disc. If so, what do I name the folders they go into?

I'm lost now I'm afraid. Though you should be able to do that as setup only orders the computer to drag files off from locations on the disc. Though I couldn't help you with what files I'm afraid and where...

Whats the error message it comes up with?

I hope someone else can help you...

Sorry though, and I hope you get it working

Ok, now I know the router has a WEP encryption, complete with a network key I have written down. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anyplace to enter the key anywhere on XP, and the instructions aren't helping, because it looks like it took images from an older version of XP. When I bring up the menu for available connections, it looks WAY different from the images on the manual, and I don't see a place to enter the network key.

I'm not even sure if there is such a thing, but can anyone tell me where you enter the network key on a version of XP with a new PC that was purchased within the last two months?

i think this is how you would do it, though im not 100% sure

go to control panel then network connections
right click on your connection and then click on "view available wireless networks"
choose your network and at the bottom it should give you a box to type the key in the box and it should work

something similar to this picture

tell me if this works :)

Yeah, that's what the manual is showing me...I'm getting something completely different though...

What I get is a larger version where the network is highlighted in green and it says that there's an encryption key to it, but once again, there is no option to put it in underneath the available network

yeah i did, but you really don't need the picture to do what i told you, all you need to do is go to network connections, right clich on ur connection and click on view available networks ; and it will brig you a screen that you can enter the key in

edit: hmm, i don't know how to help there, maybe you could send me a remote connection and i could have a look, because ive made connections like that a lot, and its always worked, but i really don't know y yours isn't giving you that screen...sorry

edit: oh, if the internet isn't working then the remote connections won't either huh LOL

Ok, so I DID find where you enter the network key, so that's not a problem anyomore.

Unfortunately, even though it doesn't tell me that the network isn't in range anymore, it still can't seem to connect to the router. So once again I'm perplexed...

One guy said that the reason my old Netgear adapter was making the HP shut down and turn itself back on was probably because of a bad Power Supply unit. And if that's what's keeping the new Linksys from connecting to the router, then I'm gonna be mad, because I've been to Best Buy, and I've seen how much those PSU's can cost...YOW! :mad:

I spent all this money on a new HP, and I can't connect it to the net after trying all this stuff...I feel like I've been swindled by CompUSA here...

It could definetly be something to do with the Router resetting itself for whatever reason.
But I wouldn't of jumped to the conclusion it could be the power supply, as the rest of the computer would be dodgy too.
I know you would have tried, but could you possibly try a different USB slot?

Back
Top Bottom