Need some help please:)

IceForever

Baseband Member
Hi, im having problems with my computer restarting.
First i thought it was my video card overheating, which it probably was, but i have that fixed now and am %100 sure that is not the problem.
So my next thought was that my memory was possibly bad since it usually only crashed when playing WoW, or running many applications.(this also made sense to me because i had just fixed a problem with my HD having a corrupt file written to it, caused by this bad RAM im assuming)
I downloaded memtest, and while running it my computer restarted itself.
I then proceeded by removing one of my sticks of RAM and seeing if the same thing happened. I found that with my 512 stick my comp seemed to run fine, while when my 1gig stick was in it continued to restart.
Okay...so i leave the 512 in and am waiting to get my new 1gig stick(both were under warranty still)
However, now i am having some issues with the stick of 512, so now im kind of iffy on the whole thing, and that BOTH almost brand new sticks of RAM would go bad on me..So my questions are:
1)(and this is probably the most important)With the stick of 512 I seem to be only getting restarts when my comp is under heavy load. So..Will my computer restart if i dont have enough RAM to run all of the applications i have open?(this usually happens when i try to play WoW on only 512, but it also happened once when i was browsing the internet while memtest was going, which was kind of stupid i guess, since memtest tries to test all available RAM and i opened firefox which takes up a decent amount:p)
2) Is there anything else that could be the problem?(ie. mobo problems or something?)

Yup, could be a few different things. But first, how about listing the full specs of your computer including video, motherboard, PSU and wattage, etc. :D

Comp is running on 2 pentium D 3GHZ processors
mach speed P4MSD-800D2 is my mobo
6800 Ultra for vid
and my power supply is ~700 watts.

It shouldn't be a power issue i dont think. i had one before because my video card sucks power like crazy, but ever since i got this new one i haven't had a problem, and i haven't added anything new.

And what about my first question?
I ask because i have 512 RAM right now. So with windows up and whatever going on in the background i have like half of that available, and WoW's min req is 512 RAM. So would not having enough make the comp restart like it is?

WOW not having enough memory shouldn't be enough to crash the comp.It would just refuse to load.

How are the cooling fans on them dual Pentiums. It could be overheating some.

It's a pretty big fan haha, and i think the other one only has a heatsink on it, but the heatsink is cool to the touch.(one processor is onboard right? i only remember installing one of them myself, and i see another processor sized thing with a heatsink on it on my mobo)

I have a program called speedfan, and it isn't showing any problems. Is there any way that i could run WoW and have my comp monitor what's going on before the restart?

It's also wierd bc some nights i can play WoW for hours without this problem, i did the night before last actually. But last night and tonight i get on for about 5 minutes and i get a restart. Also, usually when it restarts, it never actually comes back. It goes like it's restarting, then just sits on a black screen and i end up having to turn it off and back on. Idk if that is useful info for u at all?

Ok. First of all, you have only one Dual core Pentium D processor. The other one with a heatsink on it is not a processor, but the northbridge chip.

Also seems kinda odd the comp would crash while running Memtest. The most that ever happens is that it shows error after error if you have a bad stick of ram. What brand of power supply is it?

Ah, thx:p im not too familiar with the inner workings of comps as u can see haha, i just know how to put it together when i get it, and do some minor stuff>.<

The power supply is made by raidmax i believe, and i think its actually 630 watts.

It didn't always crash when running memtest, i did have the error things pop up twice when i tested the 512 stick. However, some times i can run it for hours and not get a single one..but that time when it went crazy on me i was getting a new error every time i hit ok

Just had it happen again actually. Was running memtest. Got a few errors, then it continued, then had a restart.

Back
Top Bottom