need some help!

linach

Beta member
hey everyone,

could someone help me on something? I'm trying to wipe clean everything on my old computer so I can let someone else use it.

It's an old Compaq (AMD-k6, speed is 381 MHz) and using Windows 98. I do believe I have the recovery CD given to me by Compaq but I also have a Windows 98SE (second edition) cd from a friend. I think there's two types of these, one to upgrade from Windows 95 (or earlier versions) or one to upgrade from Windows 98. And the one I have is the first one.

So first of all, if i format my computer, would you recommend I go with the 98SE or the computer's original recovery cd? the thing is, i know that this computer didn't come with microsoft office so it's missing word, excel, powerpoint. Would the 98SE cd come with this?

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Lina

hmm... no there's no extra hard drive, they'll be using mine. but it's so cluttered i wanted to format it.

i know i can use the compaq recovery disk but i was hoping the windows 98 second edition cd had microsoft office on it, that my computer didn't originally come with.

Do not use a windows 98se cd on a compaq of that age stick to the recovery cd, you see compaq at that time used strange onboard sound
and video also the motherboard is pile of crap.

if you do use windows 98se be prepared to do a lot of searching on google for drivers etc and even then dont expect the machine to be reliable.

for your own sake use the recovery cd.

also an upgrade to another operating system such as me is out of the question you will be stuck with the same problems.

in short compaqs of that age SUCK big time and thats coming from a big compaq fan lol!!

Use the recovery cd from compaq-that will have the operating system and the programs the win98 will not.-The recovery cd will usually also reformat your harddrive for you automatically the win98 won't. It is possible based on the age of the unit that the recovery cd is win95 in which case after you install it you can use your win98se to upgrade to 98. Your recovery cd might not have the office pack on it, in which case youll have to buy or borrow it.
And I have to ask-what is the point in telling someone there computer sucks thats 10 years old.-It's pretty obvoius its outdated.

alright then. thank you to Compaq and GaryG for your help, I'll stick with the recovery disc and then try to get hold of ms office from a friend. :)

Re: Very easy

bluto said:
Very easy,remove your HD and install his HD and install Winows on it.
:rolleyes: :p :)
This is and i repeat not a recovery problem,so forget that.
If you can still run W98 then get a blank floppy and go to add/remove in the control panel and make a "system Disk"
Then restart with it and have a quick look.Then ask any ?'s that arrises.
Take your time.
Then we'll go from there.
:D

Back
Top Bottom