Need Some Advice On A Build

ryevick

Solid State Member
I'm looking to get a pc tower built for a home studio/audio workstation, so it needs to be as quiet as possible as far as the fans (including power supply, processor fans) go, etc. I will probably want a fan controller as well. It needs to have plenty of power and speed, have firewire, spdif, hdmi and a good sound card and I also prefer windows 7 over 8. I will be using 1 large monitor for now but would like the ability to use 3. Someone suggested this build and have them use a different case, fans and add firewire thru pci express. After looking up a few of the components though I not so sure. The processor has great reviews but the motherboard... not so much. I also am a bit nervous at using a 2TB HD... that's a LOT of data to loose if something went wrong. I'd kinda like to maybe run the OS on a 500 GB HD and have may 2 or more 1 TB HDs for storage. I don't know gear like you guys (and gals) do I'm sure... but would very much appreciate some suggestions, links, etc. I do have about 4 towers I've found that look pretty good for reducing noise by Corsair, Fractal and the 2 Gigabyte Cupio 6140s but haven't made up my mind on one yet. I would prefer ATX over Micro ATX. Just FYI I'm looking to keep the tower cost without monitor, keyboard or speakers around $700-800 ballpark.

Sorry it took so long for someone to get to ya.

Someone suggested this build and have them use a different case, fans and add firewire thru pci express. After looking up a few of the components though I not so sure. The processor has great reviews but the motherboard... not so much.

The system you linked to seams fine. And as far as the motherboard goes, i don't think you need to worry too much about that.
A motherboard is not so much a performance part. It's features and power design. If you are not an enthusiast i don't see why this board shouldn't fit your needs.

Firewire is a dying standard, Sure you need it? you could also just buy a converter instead of buying a PCI card.

If you want to replace the fans with some quite once, may i suggest Corsair AF120/140 Quiet edition. They produce high airflow with respectable DBs and has anti vibration.

I also am a bit nervous at using a 2TB HD... that's a LOT of data to loose if something went wrong. I'd kinda like to maybe run the OS on a 500 GB HD and have may 2 or more 1 TB HDs for storage.

If you care about your data a RAID1 (mirror raid) setup might be just what you need. Buy 2 x 1TB harddrives and but them in RAID1.
Do you know what RAID is? need an explanation?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom