Need to resize my Partition

ace777

Fully Optimized
Basically I have windows 7 ( it is amazing by the way ) but its 64 bit and I have a 32 bit XP disc what can I do to resize the Partition so I can take say 30 Gb and devote it to XP.

when you hit the start button then type partition in the search box at the bottom. you should get an option to create and format disk partitions, click on that. it'll take a while to load, once it does then you can right click on the partitions and you'll have a bunch of options for each one.

you cant resize a mounted partition. Download the gparted liveCD ISO file and use powerISO or active@ ISO to burn it to a CD. Reboot with the CD in the drive and hit the boot menu key (it varies) and select the DVD drive. If your BIOS doesnt have a boot menu key, enter setup and put the DVD drive before the hard drive in boot order. It should load into a partition editor which you can then use to resize it.

well I know you can't modify it in the OS but what tools do I use is what I am asking. Also will this affect the current windows 7 partition? If I take 30 GB from it to make a new partition how to I ensure that in those 30 Gb Im not writing over data.

You can modify it in the OS!

Just Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management Then click on the disk managment label in the side pane,right click on the partition you want to shrink and then follow the prompts,once it's done right click on the empty space left over,and create the partition!

Ok I created a partition but when I go to install the OS it crashes, are there XP drivers for my system? its an acer aspire 5534 1096 thanks.

How does it crash? does it just not see the hard drive, or does it blue-screen?

Can you still boot into windows 7? If so, I'd delete that new partition (so it's unallocated) and run check disk on the windows 7 partition.

Back
Top Bottom