Need new power supply

tomirlik

In Runtime
I have a EVGA 640mb 8800 GTS, and I only have a power supply with 400W. I know I need a faster one and my card is not running to its fullest as there are slowdowns sometimes and even little jitters in gameplay, even in games like Warcraft 3, which I expected to run perfectly on high settings. and on CSS, fps drops quite a bit into the 40-60 range with 2-4x AA or 4x Anistropic filtering.

please tell me what power supply specs I need to run the card to its full potential, hopefuly something around 100 Canadian dollars, or 70-90 american, if not cheaper. I heard 550W is more than enough, but please tell me about other specs like amps if I need to know.

Thanks a lot.

400 watts should be plenty, depending on what other things you have that it is powering. Are you sure you have the 4 pin power connection hooked up to your video card?

You need a MINIMUM of 400watts, so basically u want to go about 120w higher than this to be on the safe side, depending on what else u have in ur pc, and ur 12v rail requirements are 26A. Again depending on what else u have on ur pc.

Actually when i got the card in my rig, i had a psu with a crappy 12v rail, it crashed when the hoover was being used ;) and the games were slower.

Silverstone ST56ZF or Corsair HX620. Those two will power a 8800GTS with ease. The corsair is known to power 8800GTXs in SLI with an overclocked Conroe.

I think I DO need a better supply, as I in Warcraft my game slows down when there's a bunch of units on screen, and in CS:S my fps drops down often to 40-60 on cs_office with 32 players. I'm expecting the card is supposed to do better, and the supply is blocking it from doing so.

my video card doesnt even have a power cord to connect it to the mobo..wtf? i am running a geforce6200 can somebody please explain why?

my video card doesnt even have a power cord to connect it to the mobo..wtf? i am running a geforce6200 can somebody please explain why?
more energy efficient cards that don't consume as much power do not require a power cord which shouldn't be connected to the mobo but to the power supply.. the only 6 series card that needs this additional power is the 6800GS/GT, more energy efficient cards like the 7600GT don't require as much but as you get bigger with the 7800GTX/7950GT/8800GTX the power consumption becomes greater.
don't worry if your card doesn't have a power cord, you're doing a big favor to the evironment lol.

@ownage, i never knew corsair made psus until now, they look pretty solid too, very very nice reviews on the egg.

Ronco, for a 100 bucks powersupply, you can do a lot better than that. The 12V rails are very weak. And plus, only 1 year warranty? The Corsair is only a little bit more and it outperforms that by a long shot.

Back
Top Bottom