Need more RAM? Vista has the answer!

Lac3y

Daemon Poster
This is from the Windows Vista website:

External memory devices
Adding system memory (RAM) is often the best way to improve your PC's performance. More memory means more applications are ready to run without accessing the hard drive. However, upgrading memory is not always easy. You must learn what type of memory you need, purchase the memory, and open your computer to install the memory—which sometimes can invalidate your support agreement. Also, some machines have limited memory expansion capabilities, preventing you from adding RAM even if you are willing to do so.

Windows Vista introduces a new concept in adding memory to a system. USB flash drives can be used as External Memory Devices (EMDs) to extend system memory and improve performance without opening the box. Your computer is able to access memory from an EMD device much more quickly than it can access data on the hard drive, boosting system performance. When combined with SuperFetch technology, this can help drive impressive improvement in system responsiveness.

EMD technology is both reliable and secure. You can remove an EMD at any time without any loss of data or negative impact to the system; however, if you remove the EMD, your performance returns to the level you experienced without the device. Wear on the USB drive is not an issue when using it as an EMD. A unique algorithm optimizes wear patterns, so that a USB device can run as an EMD for many years, even when heavily used. Finally, data on the EMD is encrypted to help prevent inappropriate access to data when the device is removed.

I think this is a neat idea.

but when you remove the usb drive when teh pc is on, wont the memory stored in it be lost? and isnt that going to be bad if you are using that file?

this is kina like using a usb drive as virtual memmory. ya?

Neat idea... but its going to be anything but practical. I imagine prices being extremely high, and speed increases being unsubstantial. I'm still eagerly waiting for vista however.

Conspirate said:
Neat idea... but its going to be anything but practical. I imagine prices being extremely high, and speed increases being unsubstantial. I'm still eagerly waiting for vista however.

What do you mean when you say prices being extremely high? You mean Vista will be expensive? Because Flash Drives are relitively cheap and I can't see them increasing in price when Vista is released.

Right, let me get this straight....

A USB flash drive being used as main memory? - sorry, Virtual Memory replacement? - or inbetween sorta.

Whats the point? Harddrive Virtual Memory is much much faster than what any device could do over a USB2 bus. Ontop of that, per MB it's also much more expensive even than Main memory. Even though it says it's going to be easy to use, whats the difficulty in any DIY person looking up how to install a RAM module. Ok, some people won't be able to, or brave enough to try but these are the same people who would perhaps find this technology also confusing.

Sorry, but sounds like a deadend technology to me.

Why???????????????????????????????

The point is for the people that it would void the warrentee agreement for opening the case. Its for them to be able to get more VM, or whatever it is along those lines. Neat idea. For the people that cant open their cases.

But even so with my agreement, id still open the case, to install and remove stuff. Done it once, and even when a tech came out to fix the hard drive, because of the wareneetee, they never figured out :D

ArrizX_MuziK said:
The point is for the people that it would void the warrentee agreement for opening the case. Its for them to be able to get more VM, or whatever it is along those lines. Neat idea. For the people that cant open their cases.

But even so with my agreement, id still open the case, to install and remove stuff. Done it once, and even when a tech came out to fix the hard drive, because of the wareneetee, they never figured out :D

Take the system to Geek Squad or to a A+ Certified professional and you can keep the warranty.

Hmm, I never realised that opening the case actually voids the warranty. I thought, because PCs are so modular anyway, that some upgrades are perfectly fine.

Maybe it's different in different places. Dunno, could be wrong.

I think its a good idea... but virtual memory on the hard drive... its the same as actual RAM right? Like 2gigs of virtual memory compared to 2gigs of RAM... you would notice a bigger difference with the actual RAM right? I increased my virtual memory to 3 gigs and didnt notice a difference.

Back
Top Bottom