Need a Little Help

VegaSS

Beta member
Ok, a couple of months ago, my power supply burned up. Smoke and all, and computer shut down. I finally got around to purchasing a new power supply and installed it today. Now, when I turn on the computer, it shuts down after a few seconds, while booting up. Does it sound like something else was damaged due to the "frying" of my old PS? I have a 680i MB and 7950 GC. The new PS is a 680w. Should I take my PC to a repair shop and have them run a test on my system? Any insight would be great. :eek:

Sounds like something else might've been toasted.

What brand PSU's were they?

Does the new one still have every connection needed?

Is anything displayed on screen?

Are there any beeps heard?

The new PSU is an Apevia 680w. No beeps, other than the one when I turn it on. It goes to the bios screen as normal, but after just a few seconds, it shuts off. All connections seem to be fine, I basically tore the whole system down and reconnected everything, just to make sure everything was kosher. I'm stumped. If something else was fried, I don't have the foggiest idea how to determine what it is. MB? GPU? CPU? :confused:

Oh, and another thing. heatsink, GPU Fan and MB lights are all on, as if they are working. PSU is on also.

If it's turning on and you can get to bios with no beeps, you might have a DOA PSU. Apevia isn't necessarily known for their PSU's.

Do you know the trick to manually turn on a PSU? If not, read this..

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22

Make sure everything is disconnected from the computer, PSU wise. Manually turn it on and get a multi-meter. I'm sure you or a buddy has one and check the voltages corresponding on that pin diagram. 3.3, 5 and 12 need to be tested, then post your findings.

Back
Top Bottom