Need help regarding GPU

asamay81

Solid State Member
Hi all,
In this thread i would like to get help from you people to choose a graphics card which will fulfill the configuration of my system as mentioned below

Intel i3-2100 3.1GHz CPU integrated with HD2000 graphics. (The CPU is cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 cooler)
Intel DH67GD motherboard with H67 express chipset
G.Skill NT DDR3 4Gb RAM
Antec VP450P 450Watts PSU
Dell ST2220L LED monitor which supports 1920x1080 resolution
Dual booting system with Windows 7 enterprise edition and ubuntu 10.04

I am not an expert in choosing good computer components and would like to get your help in selecting a good graphics card which will support my configurations.

I am not a gamer, just need the card to enjoy better visualization for the high definition videos. I just hope that I do not need to buy a high-end and expensive card.

Eagerly waiting for your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance

could you give a price range? only thing that would be holding you back is the psu being a 430 watt but i will look around and see what i can find

thanks for your reply Macmaster4k2

will anything within $100 be a good buy for enjoying 1080p movies? i am not sure although. i can even increase my budget a bit to get a good one....

i would recommend getting a radeon hd 6790 it is around that price and i think it is very good. it supports full hd 1080p though before doing so go to this website:

eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts

input the info there and see how much wattage you need. if it is below 410 watts then you are golden but if not then we have a problem and you will need a new psu before getting a new gpu but that is highly unlike. this is to make sure

i would recommend getting a radeon hd 6790 it is around that price and i think it is very good. it supports full hd 1080p though before doing so go to this website:

eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts

input the info there and see how much wattage you need. if it is below 410 watts then you are golden but if not then we have a problem and you will need a new psu before getting a new gpu but that is highly unlike. this is to make sure

Really what you need to check is the amps on the 12volt rail. I checked the specs on your power supply and according to amd it will not cut it. My card states a min of 12v@40@ you are not even close. That is the problem lots of people get hung up on watts and the only time you can really us watts as a reference is when you have a high end power supply You always need to check the amps. here are the specs for your psu I will underline.

Antec VP-450 450W
+3.3V@24A, +5V@15A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2.5A

Here is an example of the min I would recommend for that card to be safe.

CORSAIR Gaming Series GS500 500W 80+
+3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@39A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Gaming Series GS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified High Performance Gaming Power Supply

Or a little cheaper

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 80+
+3.3V@25A, +5V@20A, +12V@34A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A
Newegg.com - 17-139

If you notice both of those psu's say 80+ that means it is very efficient crap psu's will never be rated at 80 plus

well watching movies you might want a cheap graphics card, but your processor supports HD2000 graphics, not the best, but definitely not the worst !

thank a lot guys for your valuable replies... i have never noticed about the amperes a PSU supplies.....

actually, i have noticed that when i play any HD movies (1080p resolution) in my DELL ST2220L monitor 1900x1080@60 Hz, there is an issue about visual appearance....the video sometimes skips, stutters etc..... i always use VLC media player (latest) to play any video file.....i though that installation of of a moderate-end graphics card would make watching movies more enjoyable....

at present, i am not going to change my PSU as very recently i spent 3000 INR ($60) to get it...better i will continue with HD2000 graphics integrated with i3-2100 CPU....

Back
Top Bottom