Need help with New Build please

LukeD1

In Runtime
Whats up everyone? I got a friend who has a $3,000 US budget. He was thinking about getting an apple core duo 2.16ghz, ATI x1600, 2g of ram laptop. I managed to take him out of it and let me build a computer for him with that same 3,000 dollar budget. Take a look at these parts and tell me what you all think. Thanks.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

Scythe SCNJ Fan and Heatsink

AS5 Compound

DFI LP UT NF4 Expert

G.Skill DDR500 PC4000

XFX 7900GTX 512mb/665mhz

WD Caviar SATAII 250GB

ASUS CD/DVD RW drive

Enermax EG660W PSU

Windows XP pro OEM

Lian Li PC-G70 Silver

Sub-total before shipping is going to come to 2,298.89 US so there is some room for improvement. Don't forget about shipping and RMA possibilities.

This isn't a joke around project, this is for real and I need educated opinions. Thanks for all the help and get back to me soon. Thanks again guys.

I gotta ask, what is so special about that case to constitute $200?...

Second of all, the CAS latency seems a little high on the memory..3... but that appears to be the lowest in ddr500 form..
Your psu..
+3.3V@38A, +5V@42A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@15A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.7A

I don't think 18A on the +12v lines is enough...atleast not for the video card your gonna get.. do you plan on doing SLi?..

I don't see any problems with it other than that. Very nice picks on hardware for a big budget.

Other than that.. you have quite the system in store for yourself. Hope you feel it's worth all the moeny. I don't see any problems with it other than that.

1 I might switch the case up with something made of aluminum and lower price. I just want him to have something that is reliable, looks nice, stays cool and isnt super flashy. I also want it to be made of really high quality because it will get banged up etc... It should be able to last him a good 10 years.

2 That memory is awesome, I have it and I might overclock his system before the build is finished. Otherwise do you suggest the PC3200? OCZ maybe or something equivelant?

3. What do you think I should use as a PSU?? I hear Enermax is a great company and this system is going to be pretty demanding. What do you suggest? I want something with good cable management.

Arriz the HDD is fine. 10000 RPM might be going over the top for this system. He isnt doing anything ultra extreme but I will ask him.

Change out the PSU and get a OCZ Powerstream 520. Change out the memory for some Mushkin PC4000 Redlines or OCZ PC4000 EBs. They use better chips than the G.Skill, or, if you can get your hands on some Team Extreem Cronus, that would be even better. It uses the new -F revision of the 5Bds that were in the now discontinued PC4000 Ballistix. (You can find them here: http://www.tankguys.biz/team-xtreem....html?osCsid=6c21ac0bc778f3452e014761e69dc19a)
And i would just get the Scythe Ninja and no fan, and get a different fan like this one: http://sidewindercomputers.com/de12trbllows1.html. These are just my .02

Thanks ownage, do you think 520 watts will be enough for this system? and DFI boards are very picky about their memory. I have the G.Skill and it performs incredible on this board so I think I might stick with this memory unless you have a better reason. Whats wrong with the scythe fan?

I prefer third party fans because Delta, a very trusted company has some of the best fans made. Or, you can pick up a yateloon which are very quiet and push a decent amount of air. Oh, and for the RAM, the RAM i recommend have tighter timings, and more overclocking potential just incase you friend wants to get a little crazy :D

Cool, thanks I will look into that. Any preference for a fin that would fit on the ninja? The one you posted?

Back
Top Bottom