Need help identifying RAM

Replacing the ram will be the better & cheaper option of improving the performance of your laptop.
I would recommend you go to a reputable PC shop to do it as they can upgrade the ram in front of you...It will only take a few minutes to do....

there is openings on back of your laptop unscrew them and you see harddrive ram video card etc.... Pull battery and touch a table or sonething to discharge static electricity the clips holding the ram card just push out away from the card it pops up pull out push in new card snug push down into clips and there you go new ram, a pc tech to upgrade ram is really wasting money! Now processor I can do but it a bit more complicated

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know much about RAM or computers but I was wondering, If I replace the 512 mb memory card with a 2GB one, what will happen? Will I lose any memory or anything?
Also, wondering if I change the processor out with a faster one, what will happen then?
Any significant changes?
Thanks
If you replace the RAM with something bigger you won't lose any memory or anything since this is just Random Access Memory or a.k.a. just some memory the cpu uses to quickly access data for computeing so there is nothing saved on it, it is just blank memory for the cpu to use. But switching the cpu to something faster or the RAM to something bigger will generally make your computer run faster since the cpu will be more powerful and will be able to compute faster and the RAM will let it access more memory faster. So changing any of the two is good. REALLY GOOD.

Yeah, I know how to change them both myself, planning on upgrading both of them, thanks for the info

When you get a faster processor don't forget to check for motherboard compatability or you could burnout your board

Tried the event viewer, but nothing was under hardware events, probably because I reinstalled windows after I got the laptop back

Yeah, I checked that too, the current processor is a dual core 1.83Ghz, Im just upgrading it to a dual core 2.2GHz processor, as well as replacing the 512 mb memory stick with a 2 GB one, hopefully then it'll give me a few more fps when I run Microsoft Flight Simulator

Swagg you can't swap out the cpu's on low end laptops like a Dell. They're soldered directly to the motherboard.
As for the memory you can do that yourself. It's a 5 minute job. You really need to scoot over to the Dell website and go to support. Put in the model number and have a look at the memory matrix. This will tell you how much ram is supported and how big the cards for each slot can be.

They're not soldered, Ive already replaced the CPU before, there is a screw you turn and the CPU unlocks under the heatsink, then you just pull it out, and put another one in, and yes, this laptop already had the same Dell 2GB memory card in it before, so im pretty sure it wud work

Back
Top Bottom