Need help getting modem to work

sblude

Solid State Member
I recently formatted my computer's hard drive, reinstalled Windows 2K and all of my programs and software. Everything works great. Except my modem. My computer says my modem is installed correctly and that it is working properly but whenever I go to dial up (I use a phone line), I get a dial tone, I hear the number being dialed, and then all I hear is a dial tone. I installed a different modem and now I get nothing at all....no dial tone. Can anyone help me get this to work? Thanks!

did u install the drivers for the new modem? also, make sure you try another pci slot, I've seen situations where moving to another slot would help. Try to query the modem and see what it says....
scott

Yes I did install the drivers. I've heard the computer may say it's working properly though even if it isn't the exact driver needed for that particular modem. Could that be the case here?

And how do you query the modem? Thanks.

Most likely, the modem is not detecting a dial tone, or dialing because of the drivers. There are some cases in which a driver may appear to be working properly, but in fact, it is not. Try using a variety of different drivers, then find one out of many that works perfectly. Otherwise, you may have a fried PCI slot. Try switching the Modem into another PCI slot, and if it is external, attach it to another USB/IEEE Firewire connection. Get back to us with updates after you have tried maybe 10-15 different drivers and tried the reconnect.

Also, test your phone line using a telephone

USE DSL or BROADBAND is the other option. DSL from SBC is like 20.00 a month now, so cost should be NP for you.

Any advice on where to find drivers online? I found one sight that has many but I'm not sure how/where to install the drivers.

Also, I have a DSL Modem from Sprint (given to me by a friend). Will this modem work with other ISPs besides Sprint? Sprint charges too much each month and I've heard several friends say they've had many problems with Sprint so I'd rather not use them. But if I can use the modem with other ISPs, I'd like to know.

Thanks for all the help!

Ok, i went to Driverguide.com, found the right driver for my modem, downloaded it and it put a bunch of files on my desktop. None of them are *.inf files like my computer is looking for. When I go to install New Hardware, my computer finds a suitable driver under the WINNT folder but it obviously is not working.

Anyone have any idea on where to save the files when you download them from driverguide.com? Any idea why there are no inf files? Man this is frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom