Need help ASAP, please

Plurality

Beta member
I recently added the Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card to my Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Power 567D3 Desktop PC Phenom II X4 925(2.8GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 5570 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and all was fine and dandy, until just tonight, ~ a week after purchase my monitor shut down randomly, and my computer was still running, after a hard reset I had a blue screen and little red dots appeared on the loadup screen, i think this may be a PSU problem, as it can not support the new card, please, if anyone can recommend a power supply that would fit/work/whatever in my computer that would be awesome, or if you have any better ideas, i am computer illiterate and have no idea how to fix this, and i am too scared to turn on my computer again and risk ruining my other hardware.

This isn't so much a plug for corsair as it is a plug for their psu finder. Its a great tool on their website for finding the psu for your hardware needs. if you don't like/want corsair just take the specifications for the psu they recommend and find a brand you do like with a product that matches. Kind of a novice answer but it's not like its rocket science.

Learn & Explore

Personally i'd take a hard look at the graphics card and it's drivers. Once you rebooted was the artefacts (red dots) permanent in Windows OS?

First thing to check is to see if the GPU is over-heating.

And for that set up you really don't need a 750W PSU. A decent 550W-600W (max) PSU will do you fine.

It's strongly suspect that the power supply is the issue, not the video card at this point. That span of time is still pretty small, so it's entirely likely that the PSU decided that it can't handle the needs of the video card and the rest of the system.

I would borrow or buy a new, higher wattage unit and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, then try the drivers. Even as it stands, the stock 480w unit that shipped in your PC, Plurality, is probably just barely cutting it. It's definitely time to upgrade to something with more juice. 750 watts is overkill for that system. 600-650 should be plenty and still have some headroom, if you're looking to keep costs down.

Back
Top Bottom