Need An experienced opinion

Player871

Beta member
Hello all

Ill get straight to business
Recently i had a video card problem and sent the pc to be checked out or repaired
The fella at the shop said it was the video card that is bust ( very expensive one at that :mad: )
Anyways i had a very old card lying about so at least i can boot the pc up
Around the same time as the card problem my pc makes a high pitch squealing noise, the man at the compputer shop said it was the cpu fan and that i should replace it, however, i started up the pc and unpluged the cpu fan and the noise was still there as loud as ever, and i also checked the case fans and its not them i am sure
this leaves the power supply, might that be whats making this awful head wrecking noise?
also at the same time the card went my case fans stopped running until i messed about with their connections to the power supply
Is it possible its the power supply at fault and not my video card?

Looking forward to your responses
Steve

yh thats very possible its also possible.

but when you have a faulty PSU it could have caused ur vid card to fry so he could be telling the truth.

if its not n e fans that u can access then yh it might be the PSU fan when does it squeel ? as soon as u power on the pc ? it is as soon as u power on the pc try switchin the pc on without the hardrive or cd drives connected just to eliminate them as the problem more than like your PSU but just double check its not your hardrive or cd drive.

so unplug n e drives u have connected and turn your pc on and c wot happends . this will not damage your pc in n e way

oh and welcome to CF's ;)

well yeah it could be the pus . Also what vid card and what power psu cos if the psuis faulty and not giving out full wattage this could caause the vid card o be underpowered and not work

Well i just tried unpluging the hard drive and disk drive, but still have the noise
It starts as soon as the pc is on and sometimes when i move the mouse it can lessen or make the noise louder
My card was a 7800 gt and i have no idea what the power supply is
thanks for the help so far

All you need to do to test the fans, is stop each one for a second and see if the noise stops (its safe, just watch ya fingers). Even if you just slow it down, the tone of the noise will change so you will know what fan is causing the problem.

All you need to do to test the fans, is stop each one for a second and see if the noise stops (its safe, just watch ya fingers). Even if you just slow it down, the tone of the noise will change so you will know what fan is causing the problem.

Using fingers in high speed fans causes bleeding, just a warning. I only recomend it for low speed fans. It's hard to judge the difference (well, at least before the finger) so i recomend just unplugging them carefully, temporarily.

Using fingers in high speed fans causes bleeding, just a warning. I only recomend it for low speed fans. It's hard to judge the difference (well, at least before the finger) so i recomend just unplugging them carefully, temporarily.
Which is why i said to watch your fingers!:rolleyes:

well i have never been cut by a fan , i have stoppd both 80mm and 129mm with my fingers . If youare worried use another item such as a pen or a scredriver but be carefull with a screwdrive cos i broke a fan once doing this

ummm people look this is from his original post

i started up the pc and unpluged the cpu fan and the noise was still there as loud as ever, and i also checked the case fans and its not them i am sure

and it is NOT reccomended to fiddle with any part of the PSU even fans which can seem harmless.

if you have tried all available fans tried hardrive and cd drives then it must be your PSU as nothing else on your pc moves.

Back
Top Bottom