Need basic tips for BIOS with my new DFI P35 LP UT MOBO.

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

The other day I received my new computer parts;

Q9450
DFI LP UT P35 T2R
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR2 1066
9800GTX
(X3) WD Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA 3.0 HD
….etc

My initial out of the case test indicated that everything was compatible, and I was able to get into BIOS. I should be done assembling this PC in 2 days or so (long work schedule). Please keep in mind that I have never build a PC before, messed with BIOS or did any kind of overclocking. After I get all my components together, I want to do genarl tweaks in bios for better performance, can someone please provided me with detailed instructions of what I need to tweak in BIOS for me to get better results out of my PC? Ex; I know that the standard memory for this mobo is 800, my ram is 1066 what do I need to tweak to get a higher clock? I also noticed that my multiplayer for cpu was set to 6X, but I know that Q9450 tops out at 8X, do I just simply change it to 8? Or is there more 2 it?

This is just the general examples of what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm sure there is more that I need to tweak, but this are the only 2 I know for now :D I want to keep it simple, just some easy twicks. After I get my OS installed …etc I will try to accomplish a more serious overlcok.

I know this is a lot to ask, but if someone can give me step by step procedure on how to accomplish the twicks, I will be very graceful

Thanks.

I would run everything at auto/stock until you get the OS and all the updates installed. I always get everything running smoothly before I overclock, otherwise there are too many variables to deal with.

i agree just wait a bit, dont overclock straight away, give the thermal paste you are putting on some time to sink in, if you dont you can probably have a big problem at hand

Nice Mobo by the way...

Well more than waiting to tweak the BIOS for OC'ing you wanna research into OC'ing itself.

I pretty much OC a build straight away but I have been doing it for a while and preparing your set up for OC'ing is worth the money you save simply because you don't think about getting rid of the extra heat, etc.

My SIG shows my set up with a single core CPU:eek: ! Yes i'm goin to upgrade very soon...:)

Before you start get a decent monitoring application. Then make small adjustments. Focus on your multiplier, FSB & voltages. It's the extra volts that make an OC more stable when you ramp up clock speeds. And there's some maths involved as well.

As I said. Do a little research first.

It's not just the thermal paste. Let's say you up the fsb from the get-go, install windows and encounter an error, or while updating your screen freezes. Was it a bad install, maybe an error with the update, or is it an unstable oc?

Crap happens when you do a fresh install, update, and/or install programs and anti-virus software. Waiting will take the guess work out of everything and you can concentrate on getting a stable oc.

I know that the standard memory for this mobo is 800, my ram is 1066 what do I need to tweak to get a higher clock
If your motherboard has a standard memory speed of 800MHz, it means that it does not have a divider to run the memory at higher than 800MHz with it's standard (Intel official) FSB speed of 1333MHz (333MHz). You will need to increase the FSB speed to get your RAM to run at 1066.
I also noticed that my multiplayer for cpu was set to 6X, but I know that Q9450 tops out at 8X, do I just simply change it to 8? Or is there more 2 it?
CPU frequency = FSB x multiplier. So if you increase the multiplier to 8 and your FSB is 333, then your CPU will be running at 2664MHz.

I'm not familiar with the DFI's BIOS layout so if you could post some pics, that would be helpful.

If your motherboard has a standard memory speed of 800MHz, it means that it does not have a divider to run the memory at higher than 800MHz with it's standard (Intel official) FSB speed of 1333MHz (333MHz). You will need to increase the FSB speed to get your RAM to run at 1066.

CPU frequency = FSB x multiplier. So if you increase the multiplier to 8 and your FSB is 333, then your CPU will be running at 2664MHz.

I'm not familiar with the DFI's BIOS layout so if you could post some pics, that would be helpful.

Thanks for your help sir,

I will do what other guys suggested to me. I'm not going to OC until the paste settles in and I know that all my components are 100% compatible, lol its still not finished :D I will keep u guys updated.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom