Need Advice on Windows 8 desktop

Luvthekeys

Beta member
Hello here is some general info of my needs:

My budget for the new computer is: 1500 Max

What are the primary uses for this computer Mail, Word Processing, games Diablo3, Witcher 2 etc.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Windows 8, multiple web browsers, Avast antivirus etc

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Diablo3, Witcher 2

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? No, sometimes run four or five progams at once. Also have multiple windows open on web browser.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes

I am in the process of researching a new desktop computer. I will be using it mostly for the internet, word processing and occasionally games (Diablo 3, Witcher 2 etc) I would like to use my 42 inch Panasonic 1080 TV for the display. I also will be using a Logitech wireless touchpad for Windows 8. I want to get good performance for games and other graphics.

I have listed following what I might purchase. I would appreciate opinions and suggestions. Also which of the two graphics cards would be the better choice.

XPS 8500

Dell Price $1,274.99

Chassis:
Black w/19:1 Media Card Reader

Processors:
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (up to 3.90 GHz)

Operating System:
Windows 8, 64-bit, English

Memory:
12GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs

Optical Drive:
16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD 16XDVDR

Hard Drive:
2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s 2TBS 1 [342-4107] 8

Video Card:
Nvidia GTX 660 1.5 gb or Radeon HD 7870 2 gb

Wireless:
Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE

Sound:
Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4

Network Card:
Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet

P.S. I am also looking at the XPS 8500 Special Edition which would cost more but gives be better options for the video cards. I just found an almost identical version of the XPS 8500 on Amazon for $979 just a lower end video card.

Thank you

Yip, SSD all the way.

I had to constrain myself to a budget (Imposed by the missus!) and I chose to got the AMD route just so I could squeeze in a Samsung 256GB 830 SSD.

I also got a cheapo 1TB previous gen Black Edition Western Digital HDD, and created junction folders to dump all my documents onto the HDD. (Using "mklink /j C:\Users D:\Users"). This allows all the programs and windows to treat the data in D:\Users (the HDD) as if they were in the SSD folder C:\Users. I also used this for the steam apps folder since it was over 200GB, and I don't play the games that often so loading speed is not an issue.

But, the speed improvement over the HDD alone is amazing. And yes, I can play all my games at full settings at 1080p on the AMD cpu. I just hope AMD's roadmap of Steamroller and Excavator actually produce something worthy, or it's going to be a pain replacing the Mobo next year at upgrade time!

has the OP considered building the computer themselves? if thats the case, you should be able to get a slightly better build than the one posted for $1500. let me know if u can build urself/want to.

Back
Top Bottom