need advice for a upgraded PSU

I think you'll find pretty much every single Corsair PSU has a rear exhaust fan.

Please enlighten me as to the source of your information.

Regards,

Joe
Joe looks like all the Corsair PS fans are on top my case is designed to blow air out the back side like the Antec PS is made.

Here is a link that used as a source of information.

Corsair Power Supply Units

Sorry Didn't Realise there was a question there? Whats is your question?
Sorry...
Sorry Jake I did'nt really phase my intended HDD ect. upgrades as a ?
I'm only planning on adding 2 2TB 5400RPM internal HDDs (in addition to the orginale 1TB HDD) for recorded TV storeage, possiablly a 128GB SSD for OS and a PCI 3.0 USB adaptor, I'm thinking each HDD will use 10 watts a piece not planning like a video card that is power hunry would these upgrades require a better quaility PS.?

or should I just use external HDD.

Jake for any future upgraded HDD storeage will be external like a WD my book they get there power from a wall outlet so I'm thinking this would'nt use any power from my PCs PSU.

Thanks STB

Joe looks like all the Corsair PS fans are on top my case is designed to blow air out the back side like the Antec PS is made.

Here is a link that used as a source of information.

Corsair Power Supply Units

Enthusiast Series

You are looking at it backwards, it's showing you the wires.

Air is sucked in through the big fan at the top, plus if you really want you can fit it upsidedown, air is blown out the back.

Joe looks like all the Corsair PS fans are on top my case is designed to blow air out the back side

All PSU's suck air in from the one large side, and have a vent at the back.
This is so wherever you mount your power supply (Top or Bottom) you never push hot air back into your system.

Using External HDD dont use power from the system, however they have slower transfer rates and generally 5900RPM. So i would definitly get internals. Any upgrades will mean you should upgrade your PSU, just to ensure a safe wattage. How much you upgrade by is determined on the updated components. I would just go for a safe 450w. 450w XFX power supply

650w so if you later chose to add a graphics card you can.

You could probably get away with adding one extra HDD without any trouble. Use PSU calculator.

Enthusiast Series

You are looking at it backwards, it's showing you the wires.

Air is sucked in through the big fan at the top, plus if you really want you can fit it upsidedown, air is blown out the back.
OK Joe I think I understand the Corsair can be mounted upsidedown and suck air in though the little slites on the bottom of the PSUs cage then this air exits the rear vent looks like only half of the Corsairs fan will be sucking in (note the slites in bottom on cage)? would'nt this be concidered inefficient?

I was thinking the top fanned PSU where designed for a PC case w/ a upward vent.
Thanks STB

images of the back of case & PSU cage.
acerback2.jpg

By stevethebrain at 2012-08-10
acerfan.jpg

By stevethebrain at 2012-08-10

All PSU's suck air in from the one large side, and have a vent at the back.
This is so wherever you mount your power supply (Top or Bottom) you never push hot air back into your system.

Using External HDD dont use power from the system, however they have slower transfer rates and generally 5900RPM. So i would definitly get internals. Any upgrades will mean you should upgrade your PSU, just to ensure a safe wattage. How much you upgrade by is determined on the updated components. I would just go for a safe 450w. 450w XFX power supply

650w so if you later chose to add a graphics card you can.

You could probably get away with adding one extra HDD without any trouble. Use PSU calculator.
Jake yes having internals connected directly to the SATA port would be more desirable for speed not for portablitily or selfpowered.

Jake I live in the USA would prefer to order PC stuff from USA.
How doe's this 500watt look. will it be to powerfull?

it has the 80+
single 12V
well know co. ect.
only drawback is 5 SATA power plugs my MOBO has 6 SATA ports (not sure if they all will be used or not)
Thanks STB

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Guy's I'm still confussed on these top fan PSU working in my case and PSU cage maybe I should play it safe and just get the rear fan type like the Antec.

Problem is I don't see the Antecs go on sale like the top fan Corsairs.
STB

Let me put it simply.

ANY PSU that fits will be fine, they ALL suck air from the inside of the case, and blow it out, it will get an adequate amount of air.

Now stop worrying about the fans and buy on it's spec.

After looking closely at the image of my PSU I releize that the PSUs case is also it braket so this make the fans location irrelavant.

I've decided to upgrade PSU w/ this

Builder Series

my only concern is it only has one PCI connection wire.

My PC has 2 PCI slots one is for the current TV tuner I was planning on using the second for a 3.0 USB adaptor.

Will I need a PSU w/ 2 PCI connections?

Thanks STB

No, the PCI connection wire is only for PCI Express cards that draw a lot of power such as high end graphics cards.

OK cool I don't have a graphics card plan so this wire will not be used?

for powering the PCI slots what are the wires referred to as? I have two PCI slots.

for powering a intake fan what are the wires referred to as?

edit how much power do the following use.
1.wireless mouse and keybroad.
2.wireless adaptor.
3.extrenal 1TB HDD (it is plugged into wall AC outlet)

Thanks STB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom