Need advice...looking for new laptop.

dovercards

Beta member
I am pretty much computer illiterate in that I know how to use one but really don't know much about the specs and what I should be looking for in a computer. I was hoping some resident experts could give me some advice.

I sell sports cards, and some of what I do requires me to broadcast/stream live video online. So one of the most important things I need is a laptop that can handle streaming live video in a high quality manner. My internet provider is Verizone Fios and my upload speed is generally very good.

I also store a lot of photos on my computer of my inventory so I need a sizable memory.

Otherwise, I mostly use my computer for browsing the internet, creating some documents (spreadsheets and word type) and doing some photo editing.

My budget is decent. Willing to go up to $3000 for something that is very high quality and reliable, but don't have a need to spend that much if I can get something great for 1/2 the price.

You can easily do something for half that price.

Things to ask - Do you have a screen size preference? While not optimal for what you want to do, is a built-in webcam a necessity? Do you have any brand preference based on experience/experience of friends & Family? What about brands you'd prefer to stay away from (if any)?

What do you use to stream videos? Are we talking Video through skype or is it something a little more intense than that?

I do not need a built in webcam. I currently use a BCC950 from Logitech and it generally works well. Most of my videos are streamed live through Ustream. My old computer couldn't handle this well and the video would freeze often and look extremely choppy. Sound would also cut in and out at times.

As for screen size I would prefer something in the 15 inch range. I don't have a preference on company but I definitely will NOT go back to Dell. Just had some real customer service issues with them and it is more just a matter of principal at this time. I've never used a Mac notebook and other than my iphone I don't have experience with Apple products. I am not opposed to trying a Mac but would probably be more comfortable with a windows based system.

Other than that system speed and memory are most important to me. I want a system that can handle the upload of streaming video.

Back
Top Bottom