Need advice about hard drives

andyk09

Solid State Member
Hi, need some advice about a little problem i've got with a few hard drives. I want to upgrade the hard drive in my sisters computer. Her computer is about 5-6 yrs old it has an AMD DURON Processor not sure what motherboard it is but she only has a 5.1GB hard drive and i want to upgrade it to a 80GB HD. Now what i was going to do is buy myself a new 160GB HD and put it in mine, and then put my 80GB HD into my sisters computer.
Anyway i took my hard drive out of computer last nite and tryed it in my sisters computer last nite but it wouldn't boot up properly.
They both run Windows XP Pro, but as you can prob imagine that takes up quite abit of room on the 5GB HD which dosn't leave alot of room for storage etc hence wanting to upgrade it. Can anyone give me some advive on what to do.

What kind is your hdd, IDE or SATA? Ur hdd might be SATA and it's possible that ur sisters mobo only accepts IDE.

or have you now got two operating systems running?
you might have to format your drive before you put it into your sisters.
i am not sure if it makes a difference but it could be the prob.
woz

wouldnt it have all the drivers for your comp on that hard drive so it wont boot on your sisters comp?

gaming_freak said:
wouldnt it have all the drivers for your comp on that hard drive so it wont boot on your sisters comp?

Yes it would have the drivers, but it still should boot up properly. Atleast when u reformat windows, u don't have any drivers installed and it still boots up without any problems.

Hi right i think i've worked out the obvious difference between a SATA & IDE HDD and if my findings are correct then there IDE HDD im dealing with. Does the HDD have to be formated before i install it into the other computer? if so will it still boot up so that i can then re-install win XP Pro? Even if her mobo is about 5-6 yrs old will it still upgrade to an 80GB HDD ok?

It doesn't matter how big the hdd is, so if the mobo supports IDE and ur hdd is IDE it will be compatible.

Back
Top Bottom