Mystery sound from NZXT HUSH case

Khazgrim

Beta member
I'm recently getting a very annoying sound coming from my NZXT HUSH case. It's hard to describe the noise exactly – it's not a grinding or buzzing type noise associated with fans – it's more of a rhythmic humming type noise.

I've tested all fans in my system sequentially (i.e. stopping them), but none of the fans are the cause of the noise. PSU, GPU, CPU and case fans are all really quiet.

It's present from the moment I switch the computer on, and the tone of the noise remains constant regardless of CPU/GPU load. Excel or Far Cry 2 – doesn't make a difference.

Out of curiosity, I removed my GTX295 and powered the computer on. Mystery noise gone. However, I know the graphics card isn't faulty since it works perfectly, and the noise is present even with the card's fan set to 0% (vis NVIDIA System Software).

So if all the fans are silent, what could it be? And why would the noise disappear with the graphics card disconnected if the graphics card is working perfectly?

Help! I'm going nuts.

Thanks.

Plug everything back in the way it was (when you heard the sound; so video card back in and make sure the fan is on!) and then turn it on, see if the sound is there. If it is still there, then put the case on it's side; if the sound stops, I'd be willing to bet it's the GPU fan.

BTW, you said you set the GPU fan to 0%; by any chance did you set it to 100% and see if the sound got louder (it's probably hard to distinguish at 100% over the actual fan noise...but you could work up from 50% and see)?

Solution: sit computer in a refrigerator or crank up the volume, and enjoy some games =D

I've read somewhere that this noise can be caused by low quality capacitors in video cards. Would explain it.

Solution: sit computer in a refrigerator or crank up the volume, and enjoy some games =D

Well, that was helpful...

....NOT.

Especially if the refrigerator causes and condensation. Then bye-bye computer.

:rolleyes:

If you're going to post, make it a helpful one.

Well, that was helpful...

....NOT.

Especially if the refrigerator causes and condensation. Then bye-bye computer.

:rolleyes:

If you're going to post, make it a helpful one.

Calm down... I was just joking. Anyhow, water doesn't conduct electricity, it's the impurities in it that do. So not necessarily.

And read the post above yours, it's somewhat useful. Somewhat :p

Calm down... I was just joking. Anyhow, water doesn't conduct electricity, it's the impurities in it that do. So not necessarily.

Who knows how smart he is. He could put it in the fridge. And basically all water (except distilled) has impurities; ESPECIALLY water in the atmosphere. Is "fridge air" magically clean?

And read the post above yours, it's somewhat useful. Somewhat :p

You mean the one you edited to add something useful? :rolleyes:

Who knows how smart he is. He could put it in the fridge. And basically all water (except distilled) has impurities; ESPECIALLY water in the atmosphere. Is "fridge air" magically clean?

You mean the one you edited to add something useful? :rolleyes:

Fine. get an aquarium, mount the components in it, and then fill it with mineral spirits. put in freezer. WIN! :p

And I didn't edit it. The server automatically merged my posts. ;)

Back
Top Bottom