Mysterious Beep

cpkramers

Baseband Member
Hi everyone. I've had my lastest build completed for about a week now, and everything has been going quite well. See my sig for components. But I have been hearing a single beep from the pc every now and then while playing games. For example when playing DoD:Source last night, I think I heard it beep twice in about a 90min stretch. Nothing happens at all to gameplay when it beeps, it doesn't stutter or anything. No indication of anything at all, just a single beep. I checked the cpu temp with PC Probe II a couple times right after exiting the game and it's been in the upper 50's, so it doesn't appear to be heat. I haven't noticed the beep in anything but games. Any ideas what it might be? I've never had a computer do this before.

Thanks for your help.

look at the motherboard manual for beep codes
also it could mean overheating . look in the bios there may be settings for temperatures like critical teemp warning temp etc . If so you may need to re apply the thermal paste to the cpu . i would use arctic silver

^^ that isn't a mobo beep code. Those things come before bios and usually mean that some of the hardware is broken or not connected, which doesn't seem to be the case since the computer is working fine.

Have you been overclocking the computer? If so then try it with normal clock speeds.

But overall there doesn't seem to be anything wrong since the game is still running fine even after the beep.

^^ that isn't a mobo beep code. Those things come before bios and usually mean that some of the hardware is broken or not connected, which doesn't seem to be the case since the computer is working fine.

Have you been overclocking the computer? If so then try it with normal clock speeds.

But overall there doesn't seem to be anything wrong since the game is still running fine even after the beep.

Oh yeah . if it dosent seem to be a problem then i wouldnt worry about it . Mine beeps from time to time so i dont know

No overclocking at all... everything running at stock speeds and running well... no lockups or reboots. Doing a little more searching, it seems a beep during operation should indicate an overheating cpu, but again, when I started PC Probe immediately after exiting a game the higest temp I saw was 57. So maybe it dropped a little before I got a reading, but normal operating temp for my cpu is 55-70. I'll keep monitoring it and maybe order some Arctic Silver and another case fan if it keeps up.

well use prime 95 to stress test your cpu and watch the temps during the stress test
also the stock cooler isnt the best but it should still do . if you wanted maybe you could order a better cooler as well

Using Prime95 sounds like a good way to monitor what's happening with the cpu. I'll try that tonight when I get home. Thanks muz.

Yeah, Prime 95 is a good software. The beeps could say overheating. When you exit the game, the CPU will drop significantly in temp under a second. I've seen my CPU from 72C down to 50C under 2 secs.

Using Prime95 sounds like a good way to monitor what's happening with the cpu. I'll try that tonight when I get home. Thanks muz.
it dosent actually monitor you need to use the motherboard monitor you mentioned before to monitor all prime 95 does is stress the cpu to its max

Back
Top Bottom