my very last 360 vs ps3 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gplpark92

BSOD
taken from Paul Garnett's review

"The Xbox 360 is an excellent gaming console. It boast some great games to play on it, and its user-interface is excellent. It's user friendly and live works well.

However, i'm looking at the technical specifications and it seems the PS3 is far more powerful and has far more potential. I love the 360, but the PS3 boasts some great qualities that the 360 lacks. The processors (graphics and CPU) are fairly equal, and can put out about the same performance and eye-candy. (i'm not gonna argue about GPU and CPU performance of the 360 and PS3 as I lack much knowledge of them, and I would be criticized for bias towards one side or another, so i'm going to lay off.) Here are my three major points:

1) The Blu-Ray drive:

- Xbox 360 games are written on dual-layer DVD-R's, which only store about 8.5GB of data. This makes it harder for the developer to make newer games as they have to make sure it all fits onto the disc. Current 360 titles are unaffected by this at the moment.
- Each game for the PS3 has a spacious 50GB used for any element of the game (size, textures, etc.).
- The Xbox 360 can play HD-DVD movies (not games) on an external HD-DVD player for an extra cost.
- The PS3 has an internal Blu-Ray drive which will play games & movies. Movie quality is exactly the same as the HD-DVD, however each Blu-Ray may have more capacity to hold special features (i'm not sure if movie companies will take advantage of this, though.)

2) OS support
- The 360 has no option to install a 3rd-party operating system. I'm sure it can be done, but it would be violating the warranty, and Xbox Live rules, and could not be done without some form of system modification (software or hardware).
- The PS3 has an option to install a 3rd-party operating system on its hard drive. So far, several versions of Linux have been released for the PS3, and are tested working. I don't know if they are able to take advantage of the PS3's graphics processor, but the operating system will run fine, allowing people to install Linux software, and play any type of media they want, so long as they have the right software and drivers for it (ex: DivX, Xvid, Quicktime)

3) Upgradeable Hard Drive
- The Xbox 360 allows you to buy larger hard drives, which are stored inside plastic caddys that can be transported from 360 to 360, and they are connected externally, but securely to the top of the 360. With modification, one may open the caddy and install their own hard drive, but this will result in a banning from Xbox live as this is a clear violation of the 360's warranty. Also, the capacity of these retail 360 hard drives are rather low for their price. ($100 for 20GB?)
- The PS3 allows you to upgrade your hard drive (which is a standard 2.5" 5400RPM SATA internal drive) to anything you want, with ease, and without any firmware installation. One may easily slide out the 20,60, or 80GB drive, and replace it with any 2.5" SATA hard drive that you want. For about $100 total (S&H included), one may buy a "Western Digital Scorpio WD1600BEVS 160GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive", from Newegg.com, and easily insert it into their PlayStation 3. This is not a violation of the PS3's warranty, and one may use its online feature without worry. I don't understand why Microsoft sells their 20GB hard drive for the same price as a 160GB hard drive of the same type, that I can use in a Sony PS3, without violating its warranty and getting banned from PS Online.

Other minor points:

PS3 can have up to 8 different Sixaxis controllers at a time, connected via BlueTooth, while the 360 may have up to 4. Although the PS3 and the 360 both have 4 and 3 USB ports respectively, so perhaps extra controllers could be played (but more likely charged) via USB.

PS3 has integrated Wi-Fi and browser capability, while the 360 requires a separate Wi-Fi adapter for additional cost, and you cannot browse the internet freely (unmodified, i mean).

I'm not gonna lie. I love the 360 very much, and I play with it all the time, but reading about the PS3's extreme versatility, upgradeability, and overall bang for your buck, I would recommend the PS3 over the 360 to someone who is deciding on what to get. Of course, the Xbox is superior in some ways:

Xbox Live is a FAR better system than PS3's online network, and has so much more to offer. The overall Xbox Live interface is FAR superior to PS3's. However, you cannot compare these, because the PS3's network is 100% free, and Live has a monthly fee.

The Xbox 360 has far better game selection, at this point in time. It seems unfair to me to compare the game selection of a 2-year-old console, with a 6-month-old console, because the 360 had the same problem at the time of its launch: a lack of titles. With developers finally understanding the cell-processor, new games will comes out for the PS3 shortly, so theres no need to worry. A little patience should pay off...

The price of the PlayStation 3 is VERY high in terms of consoles, but the amount of features that you get, may justify it. Xbox 360 owners may end up paying more because of the separate Wi-Fi and HD-DVD player, and receiving less, as games can only be played by the DVD-ROM drive, and browsing capability is absent in the 360.

Since the PlayStation 3 offers this much (excluding a 160GB hard drive) in just a 1-time payment, it seems like quite a bargain. People may argue about the hardware performance and game selection, but the things stated above are pure facts, and have been tested and proven. In the long run, it seems like the PlayStation 3 is a better choice, with the hard drive upgradeability and all

Of course, it's all your choice - What do you think?"

^^ there u go, guys, whoever didnt see it last time

AND GAMES COMING UP (who gives a shit if theyre exclusive or not?):
Metal Gear Solid 4
Frontline: Fuel Of War
Killzone 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Call Of Duty 4
Need For Speed: Pro Street
Gran Turismo 5

AND if blu-ray fails, who gives a f*ck, its not like theyre gonna change the PS3 around to HD-DVD

I think it's beating a dead horse to be honest. The console wars aren't a new thing, they've been going on for ages just with different consoles because of releases and such. You could prove one side and disprove another with these things if you wanted to, I really see no point. All I know is I'm probably going to wind up buying a 360 because it has more games. I also don't like sony and am honestly not impressed by the PS3 because of the price and lack of games at the moment but the graphics are cool.

to be honest they are both exceptionally good consoles. my perference is the pc. it kicks both their arses.

screw all that
its about the dam games!
i say wii beats both there ass's in that
all 360 got is fps
ps3 has nothing

screw all that
its about the dam games!
i say wii beats both there ass's in that
all 360 got is fps
ps3 has nothing

u sound like every other 13-yr-old xb fanboy whore - cant back anything up with anything technical

Honestly who freaking cares. Pick a God Damn system and STFU already i'm sick of seeing this pointless thread pop up on a weekly basis by you.

You sound like a 13yr ps3 fanboy.

how am i a ps3 fanboy if i have a 360 and i play it all the time

AND i took that article from some guy's review, and he has a 360 too and raves about it

So whats the point of this thread honestly?

To get the same responses you got last week when you asked this?

Enough already.....

And FYI esa193 basically said Wi FTW. How does that make him a 13-yr-old xb fanboy whore?

And besides that to further my case why are you telling him he sounds like a fanboy when he's just expressing his opinion, if your not biased to the ps3?

You didn't tell us a damn thing we didn't know already.

I don't care how unfair it is, the PS3 doesn't have very many good games that aren't on 360 or PC.
When orange box and UT3 comes out, THEN it will have something I actually give a crap for. But then again, those are on PC.
So unless you aren't a PC gamer, that doesn't apply to you.

I don't care how good it's hardware is. The brains behind the development will make a good game. Not that ten billion core processor.

However, there are the RPG companies. If your an RPG player, then the PS3 is a good investment. I'm gonna get one someday, it just won't be for a couple years.

woh woh woh
first of dont say i dont no shit i happen to no the specs of all the systems and i happen to no that the ps3 is bottleneck buy the cell and its 256/256=512 ram
now the ps3 may have a slight advantage in graphics becouse of its gpu
but becouse of the bottle neck games only run at 30fps standard while games on a 360 run and 60fps standard
but who fucking cares about specs on consoles?!?!?!
specs only matter on a god dam pc
in the console world is all about the dam games!!!
if you love fps thats all your play nothing else but fps
get a dam 360 cuz thats all you'll find
ps3 has only had one or 2 good games only on ps3 and its almost been a year
now wii on the other hand has nintendo and nintendo rarely puts out crap
there games are always A+ and becouse the wii is selling like hot cakes
(call up some stores most of them will be sold out) developers are flocking to the system like crazy) by summer 2008 the amound of nintendo wii only games will be crazy
sure it doesnt have 1080p or the best online
but thats what a gaming pc is for
consoles are about fun
and wii has the best control system of any console
making it more then just a console pc's kill specs wise
heres all the games to be released on nintendo systems till the end of the year http://gonintendo.com/?p=26233
now they may not all be great titles but
thats a lot of titles and there not all fps!
now dont call me a fan boy
cuz i love fps on my pc
i love bioshock and great online
but i need more
idk about you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom