Is My Router On The Way Out?

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hi Guys,

I've got a really annoying problem that's been occurring on and off over the last couple of months.

I've got sky Fibre broadband and it usually works very well:

Occasionally though it will grind to a halt with a ping of 500ms or so a download speed of 0.15 and an upload of around the same.

When I log into my router home page it says it is connected at 39998 down and 9999 up so it seems the router is talking to my ISPs server at that speed?

When it goes on this slow down I've tried it through cabled connection and wireless and on my Laptop, my Desktop and my iPad and all achieve about the same speed.

The only thing that resolves the issue is rebooting the router, do you think it could be kaput? Overheating perhaps?

Sometimes it will be fine for weeks and weeks and then it will go wrong once, other times it will only last a day or so.

I'm reluctant to call Sky as I know what they will say, please reboot your router, which I will do and the speed will come back up and they'll say well it's working now and won't ever do anything about it.

I used to have the same problem with my modem, it would be fine & then all of a sudden the speed would just go down to a crawl. i would reset the modem only to have the same thing happen again.

Since i was renting my modem from my ISP , they replaced my modem for free & gave me brand new one to use. after having my modem replaced i never had that problem again.

So my question to you would be, are you renting your modem/router from your ISP? or did you have to buy it from them when you signed up?

If you are renting the modem/router you could ask them to replace it with a new one. that might resolve your issue...it did for me.

I think the way it works in the UK is for the first 12 months your ISP own your router then after that you own it, and I think I've only been with Sky with this router for 6 - 8 months?

I think they will replace it but the "Tech Support" people in UK companies are useless.

This is how I can guarantee it will go.

Me: Hi, I've got a problem with my Sky router every couple of days or so the speed drops to be unusable at 0.1 - 0.3 Mb. If I restart the router the speed returns to normal.

Them: OK i'm sure we can help you with this, are you sitting infront of your computer now?

Me: Yes

Them: ok goto 192.168.0.1, login using your username and password. Click on the Diagnostics tab, Click on reboot router.

Me: Ok all done . . . .

Them: Please can you test the speed now.

Me: Well the speed now is fine, as I've just rebooted the router, but it will slow down again in a couple of days.

Them: I'm sorry I cannot help you if your broadband is working fine at the moment, please call again if you have a problem.

Me: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't understand that it will only sometimes slow completely down.

Them: OK Sir we have done a line test at your property and everything appears to be working fine, can you confirm your broadband speed is acceptable at the moment.

Me: Yes at this very point in time it is working, but it has been working and not working intermittently over the past several weeks.

Them: I'm afraid we cannot help you resolve your issue if it is working at the moment.

I will have to go through this at least 3 or 4 times before they build up enough of a log on their system to realise it is a re-occurring intermittent fault.

UK companies are desperately frustrating when trying to deal with technical issues.

honestly here in the states i had the same thing where my router came from my ISP. i had a stupid UBEE router, i googled how to make it just a gateway then i used a router that i bought and i never had another issue. what kind of router do they provide you?

Do you have a modem and router or is it an all in one? The only thing you can do it call and call and call every time it happens. Maybe after multiple calls they will get the hint that it's reoccuring theme.

I would do the above ^^^ , but also i would be like" i want to talk to your supervisor" & explain to him that this issue has been happening over & over.
i know tech support can be tough to deal with, but sooner or later they will give in to resolve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom