My PC has stopped working

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I have been having several problem with my pc. I started off when I had vista ultimate on my pc and my hardrive just stopped working - windows couldn't find it. Then one day it randomly started working again. Then after returning to windows xp my cdrw dissapeared from the'my computer' so swapped it wit another one and it returned again. Next the dvdrom dissapeared, swapped it with another one - this worked. Then my floppy, cdrw and dvdrom all went and don't appear in the boot devices or in windows. I have tried formatting and installing many different versions of windows (vista,xp,2000,me) none of which worked. It then eventually got to a stage where it won't even mmake it to the desktop - sometime it will but mostly it won't. All of these IDE devices still are not being recogined by the pc but they all seem ti have power going to them. I don't know if it could be the motherboard. Thanks for any advice.

Make sure the motherboard isnt shorting out on the case, specifically where the ide channels are on the board, this could be the cause of the intermittence, and like hasbeen said try memtest.

I once had a virus that disabled my cdrom drive on startup, so maybe check for viruses (outside chance)

Duh sorry, lesson to myself don't type when ur half asleep and not well, i meant... and like has already been said.... sorry

It is an always best practice to upgrade your OS and PC Configuration at-least once in three years to fine-tune the performance of the PC. Because most the New Software will consume more PC disk data space during installation.

I would suggest reset the Bios default.
Reseat the components on the mobo including the HDD DVD data cable.
Check the PSU connectors to these drives and make sure they are ok.

If still the same problem, reflash the latest Bios.
This needs more skill and the failure will cause the mobo not working.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech manager
Wptinc

Hey guys, check the date on these posts before replying, eh? This thread is FOUR YEARS OLD. :p

Back
Top Bottom