my motherboard's fan plugs...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
are fried, or at least I think so...

I had a stock intel socket 478 heatsink and fan and two of the wires weren't connected, so I soldered them back on and then proceeded to try the plug in all three 3 pin fan connections on my mobo and none of them worked...

I think I soldered the wires wrong (mixed the wires up) and the 3 pin connections on the mobo are now fried (I'm just glad that the fan connections are the only thing that got fried in the process), I had a PCI air circulator with 2 small fans on it and took one off and screwed it onto the heatsink as a temporary fix...

my questions are...

are the fan connections permanently fried...? or is there a way to fix them...? or should I just consider myself lucky that I still have a working mobo...?

and what would you suggest, getting a fanless cooling system for the cpu or getting an adapter so I can plug it into the psu...?

also, with the rigged up cooling, my processor is running at 69 degrees, is that too hot and what temp am I good up to...?

It could just be the fan thats damaged, have you connected a working fan to the connectors on the mobo?

Raffaz said:
It could just be the fan thats damaged, have you connected a working fan to the connectors on the mobo?

sorry, though I failed to mention it in the original post, I went out and bought (couldn't wait for TD or Newegg) a stock intel heatsink and fan and plugged it into all 3 mobo connections and it still didn't power up...

when I soldered the old one, the wire config at the plug was green, yellow, and black, so I soldered the wires the same way at the fan, when I got the stock fan, I noticed that the plug config was the same, but the config at the fan was green, black, yellow...

I have had my computer on for about 6 to 7 hours now and the temp I reported earlier has actually dropped to about 51 degrees (maybe the heatsink compound has started to settle in...?), obviously me likey, but still know that a decent heatsink and fan are in the very near future (probably tomorrow because the fan I have rigged up is probably about half the size of the stock fan and I don't want to take any chances)...

I was wondering if 4 pin molex adapters for the 3 pin mobo connector are readily available for any heatsink and fan combo I might buy, or maybe I should just go with a fanless heatsink...?

wol-va-rine said:
sorry, though I failed to mention it in the original post, I went out and bought (couldn't wait for TD or Newegg) a stock intel heatsink and fan and plugged it into all 3 mobo connections and it still didn't power up...

when I soldered the old one, the wire config at the plug was green, yellow, and black, so I soldered the wires the same way at the fan, when I got the stock fan, I noticed that the plug config was the same, but the config at the fan was green, black, yellow...

I have had my computer on for about 6 to 7 hours now and the temp I reported earlier has actually dropped to about 51 degrees (maybe the heatsink compound has started to settle in...?), obviously me likey, but still know that a decent heatsink and fan are in the very near future (probably tomorrow because the fan I have rigged up is probably about half the size of the stock fan and I don't want to take any chances)...

I was wondering if 4 pin molex adapters for the 3 pin mobo connector are readily available for any heatsink and fan combo I might buy, or maybe I should just go with a fanless heatsink...?
Ah right. Its still worth pointing out tho. If you havent seen this new fan working, then how do you know it isnt damaged? Just because its new doesnt always mean it works. :)

Raffaz said:
Ah right. Its still worth pointing out tho. If you havent seen this new fan working, then how do you know it isnt damaged? Just because its new doesnt always mean it works. :)

before trying to solder the original fan, I had plugged other fans that worked in the connections before while trying to boot up the mobo (just so I wouldn't have to hear the message "cpu fan failed" while it was bootong up) and they worked...

after the mucked up soldering job I did, neither one of those fans that used to work on the mobo, there were two that had worked, will now work on the mobo connections either...

I've been checking out Newegg and TigerDirect to see if I can catch a decent fanless heatsink on sale, but may just go out and get one today...

Ah right definately sounds like they are damaged then. You could always use a converter and convert it to molex, and just connect it that way. Downside to that is, you wont be to monitor the speeds etc.

Raffaz said:
Ah right definately sounds like they are damaged then. You could always use a converter and convert it to molex, and just connect it that way. Downside to that is, you wont be to monitor the speeds etc.

true, but beggars can't be choosers, I think I will definitely stay away from soldering anything in the near future after this episode...

now I just need to find a store with a fanless heatsink or a converter...

Raffaz said:
A converter would be the cheapest option if your strapped for cash.

I was thinking the same thing, not a gamer, so getting a working solution with the original fans would suffice, the cpu temp is only 51 degrees and has been pretty steady since I reseated the heatsink, and that's with the small fan that is about half the size (literally) of the original fan...

not really strapped for cash, but it would free up some cash for some upgrades or maybe a new computer build...

Back
Top Bottom