My laptop screen is going bad

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
The screen on my HP DV9700T is going bad, the colors are all messed up, picture and video are as well. Videos are practically unwatchable. When I go to this forum the upper part where the logo is comes up as a greenish color with a dark line through it. Everything looks good on an external display so I'm assuming it's the screen.

Is there anything I can do besides replace the screen? It just started doing this yesterday, it's only like 3 years old, should it be going bad so soon? It was out in the cold for a little bit, like an hour in the trunk of my car in the carrying case but that shouldn't have hurt it should it? It's been cold like that before, in the trunk all day long one time even.

*sigh*

I would take it apart and follow the wiring to the screen and check for broken or pinched wires. Also try wiggling each wire one at a time, if possible, to see if the display changes. This may help narrow down the cause of the problem.

I don't know if I'm too excited about taking it apart though, I've never taken a laptop apart.

From the sounds of things, your only option will be to take it apart and check/replace the wires to the monitor. It isn't as hard as you think to get apart, just take your time and be sure to draw diagrams to tape your screws to so you know where they all go.

I know Dell is really good about making service manuals available to end users that show you in detail how to take the PC/laptop apart and replace certain items. Don't really know about HP, though. Get a manual if you can and a set of jeweler's screwdrivers (Phillip's for the screws, flathead for prying the covers open). It's not really that difficult as long as you're careful and take your time.

Well I have the service manual for my laptop, got it from the HP website. I was reading how to take the screen off and that's why I was saying I'm not too excited about it....lol

I can get a whole new screen from ebay for 140 bucks or so.

This sounds very familular to me as I have worked on 2 of this exact same model.. It is a flaw in the wiring when you open it up strip the electrical type tape off of the wire and its almost a guarentee you will find at least 1 broken wire. If you do there is a part number for the cable on it you can replace them for 25 bucks and then you are set to go..

This sounds very familular to me as I have worked on 2 of this exact same model.. It is a flaw in the wiring when you open it up strip the electrical type tape off of the wire and its almost a guarentee you will find at least 1 broken wire. If you do there is a part number for the cable on it you can replace them for 25 bucks and then you are set to go..

Since it's his laptop, he could get away with soldering the cable back together. I know that's what I'd do.

I'll get a picture of the screen and post it later so you guys can see what I'm talking about. If I take a screen shot then everything will be fine when you guys view it.

Edit: Here are a couple pictures.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Here's a video so you can see how it looks.

Back
Top Bottom