Is My Fan Installed Correctly?

shawn_selig291

In Runtime
I got a dell dimension 4700. I use to have heating issues with it until i reversed the fan. I'm wondering if i had to reverse the fan or if its installed the wrong way now. The Case fan currently moves air out of the case.(i reversed the fan because it was breathing air in when dell shipped it)...

i was told that reversing the fan might breake a voltage regulator or something...but not sure...

i did the procedure to reverse my fan:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfo...id=98594#M98594

but....

From a moderator off of the dell support forums. (Dell-ChrisM) he said:

Some users have incorrectly suggested that the fans were installed backwards. While this airflow is the opposite of other Dimension models using the same chassis, the reverse airflow is intentional. The Dimension 4700 uses a different motherboard and CPU voltage regulator design than other Dimension systems, one that is very effective and efficient, but requires direct airflow. To achieve this, air is pulled in through the back of the chassis, across the CPU heat sink and voltage regulator, then out the front of the chassis. In short, if the case fan on the rear of the case pulls air inwards, it is installed correctly. The fan should not be reversed! Doing so may increase the risk of damage to the CPU voltage regulator by overheating.

i have noticed a HUGE decrease in temps after i reversed the fan.... i also have found out that theres 2 dimesnion 4700 models.....also check out this article regarding this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Dimension

I would like to hear any comments or suggestions anyone has...to either wether or not i put the fan back to the way it was(breathing air in)...or the other way around like i got it know,

thanks for reeeading this long pooost!

my question is why would they say u need it to breathe air in...cause the case gets really warm...cause the warm air just stays in their....

because they're retarded...

i dunno if youre PSU has a fan then the air your fan would be "breathing in" would be sucked right out again.

this is why I build my own computers! LMAO

dell = -rep

i don't like how dell builds there computers....but still i buy them...lmao...
i wish i new this beofre...cause it use to overheat and i use to think it was a defective hard drive or something.... my temp. use to reach 60c for my drives....lol...now they stay around 20-30 with the fan reversed.... thanks for quick response :).....yet dells mod says it suppose to breath air in...lol

edit: and yes...i got a power supply fan breathing air out..

Yeah dell is kinda stupid IMO.

I got my system setup so that there is a case fan in the front sucking air in through a vent and a case fan at the back blowing out exhaust. Works wonders. :rolleyes:

my system really can't have a fan in front...unless someday i get a new case.... the hard drive are standing up at the front of the comp...lol...
and where i got 2 hard drives...there right by each other.... i also clean out my computer regulary...like once every 2 weeks...(clean all dust from fans and heatsink thing...)

Back
Top Bottom