my ethernet card does not work after install win xp pro

v_xxx_v

Baseband Member
i bought a emachine T3958 ( win xp home) last few days. I installed win xp pro then my video card, sound card, and ethernet card do not work very well. Specially the ethernet card. I have contact to emachine support, they said those components only work with win xp home !!! I just wonder are there anyway to make them work correctly ? thanks alot

Did you install xp SP2?...
Perhaps you also had some little worms, and SP2 don`t
like them present previous to the installation...

i did not install sp 2, it comes with machine. I formated hdd and install xp pro, after that my machine does not run correctly with ethernet,video, sound driver. any help please ?

Did you upgrade to xp pro or did you do a complete reformat and new install to xp pro.
The hardware has no true bearing as to any differences between xp pro and xp home. They are the same system...one just has better networking capabilities than the other one and some business management programs. The base systems are exactly the same thing.
Sometimes an install of the operating system just does not install properly. Especially if installing on an older drive as files are left behind after formating and can/do cause conflicts.
Have you installed updated drivers? or were they the original drivers for that motherboard.

everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Ok, Download this utillity and run it. It will tell you exactly what your motherboard specs are for the
integrated sound ,video, and networking.
Write down what it says they are and then go to:
http://www.driversguide.com
register(no spam) and then look for the drivers that match what you have.
Download them to the desktop. then open them and install them one at a time rebooting between each install. The drivers from there are self extracting so should install without issue.

i used that software and check and see device decription:

Intel 82801DB ICH4 - LAN Controller with 82562ET/EZ PHY
(type PCI)

I can not find the driver on the website which u gave me, are ther any way to find driver for it? thanks

thanks, i got the network card working now. I trying to get other driver working. Thanks

BTW, if i install linux on that machine, then can i apply your way ? thanks

you can post here any time but I am not a linux user and really lack in any info about it.
sorry, just never got around to it.

Back
Top Bottom