my desktop restarts when i connect any device to usb port

onestop

Beta member
hi is there some one can help me .i have a computer when i connect any usb device the system restarts . i changed the mother board the casing but still same. i have widows xp with amd proccesor.

Wow, that is an odd problem.

Maybe the usb port is short circuiting which is causing the pc to reboot? Try using a different power supply and see if the problem continues.

USB power is limited. If you plug in a power hungrey device or several of them the usb ports current limiting protection will kick in and reboot the system.

Exactly, if the device requires a 2.0 (powered) bus it will overdraw the 1.1 and auto-reboot the system. Happened to me when I put my Logisys Bay Device with USB 2.0 on my old gateway with USB 1.1. locked up the system.

Check to see what the headers are rated at on your board - It's a new board and should have USB 2.0 but you never know...

Wow, that is an odd problem.

Maybe the usb port is short circuiting which is causing the pc to reboot? Try using a different power supply and see if the problem continues.

^^ That's most likely it. Dropped my laptop and now I can't use the top usb port. Broke the plastic hold right off. Laptop turns off right away if I plug anything into it.

Ok,
The problem is.
Your Power Supply.
You need find one thats got more power in it.
I would subject www.newegg.com

And if its not that.

You have too Many Things Plugged into the Ports.
If not.
You can Test your POWER-SUPPLY at www.newegg.com

Hope i helped :)

Back
Top Bottom