My desktop becomes slower

jericdelfinado

Solid State Member
HELLO THERE... CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO FIX THE ISSUE OF MY DESKTOP? THE PROBLEM IS THAT MY PC BECOMES SLOWER EVERYTIME I USE IT... HERE'S THE SPECIFICATION OF MY DESKTOP....

Gigabyte GAG41M
Intel Dual core (2.66ghz)
2gb ddr2 PC800
Inno3d 512mb video card
80gb WD harddisc

WHAT UPGRADE IS NEEDED TO THE SAID PARTS?? PLEASE HELP.... AND THANKS IN ADVANCE.....:)

1: Turn caps lock off, you don't need to yell every word you type on a forum.
2: With that said, how does it become slower? IT could be a full hard drive, a hard drive not defragged ever, or many other things. Give us some more info on this problem.

sorry for that and i didnt mean im yelling... sorry.... by the way... i partitioned the harddrive in 3 parts... the main drive which is drive c: had only left 4gb space.... when i turn on the unit.. the pc loads application... as i move the cursor it moves become slower ...i added some memory in my RAM which is now 2gb... but it still slower...

Sounds like you're running out of room on the hard drive. How much space is left in it across all the partitions? When my hard drive gets above 90-95% it bogs down. After i get rid of some stuff, speeds up.

Also, open task manager and tell us the cpu usage at idle, when nothing is running. It should only be around 0-5%, no where near 100%, since major programs shouldn't be running.

Sounds like you're running out of room on the hard drive. How much space is left in it across all the partitions? When my hard drive gets above 90-95% it bogs down. After i get rid of some stuff, speeds up.

Also, open task manager and tell us the cpu usage at idle, when nothing is running. It should only be around 0-5%, no where near 100%, since major programs shouldn't be running.

the over all is 80gb it is small compare to new hard drives... the main hard drive is 4gb something..the hard drive indicates red when its getting to full when i remove some applications it turns green... but when i open and browse the mouse still moves slowly.. should i say moves like a robot.. lol... by the way how and what i will do ??? what should i upgrade to the said specifications of my desktp... thanks....

my OS is windows 7 64bit...

You're still not answering the questions. Across all of your partitions on the hard drive how much space is LEFT from the 80GB. Add the "used" space up across the 3 and tell us the number.

And what do you mean "the main hard drive is 4GB?" I assumed this was a single internal hard drive inside your case. What do you mean by the lights as well? Internal hard drives don't have lights.

And you don't always need to "upgrade" stuff to speed up a computer. It depends on good you take care of it. The last question is the task manager. Hit ctrl+shift+esc and tell me the cpu usage. Look at it for about 20 seconds and tell me if it went above 50% ever, if so, did it stay above 50? This is when you have nothing running. Stop all of your games, music players, word processing etc. You might be infected if it's a consistantly high %.

sorry for late reply... i partitioned the 80gb hard drive..which the main hard drive has only 4gb space left...it has an indicator in the os that tells you disk space left.. in win 7 the remaining space in your hard drive has higlightened color green,,, when there is no more space left it turn color red.. and it is not a light,,,sorry...in all across the partitions i think it has a 25gb left in my disc space.. now ... my pc shuts down.... when i open it.. and it takes only 3-5mins and it will shutsdown fast... please help... thank you

Download hdtune and run an error scan on your hard drive. Tell us (if you can post a pic instead) if there were any bad sectors and the average read speed of the drive.

sorry for late reply... i configured my desktop.my pc does'nt shuts down anymore.. i run tune up utilities to fix it...there are some improvements done but a little bit fast ... i noticed that the cpu usage turns up to 100% and i have no applications running on the program...is there a problem in my harddisk or my processor?? thanks ....

It could be a lot of viruses. I still want to stick with one thing at a time however, though thanks for answering some of my questions so far. If you can, download and install hdtune and run the error scan. There's no configuration required if you're using one hard drive. Let it run and tell us the average speed you saw (should be above 10MB/S) and if you saw any red dots.

Due to a question like this and the symptoms you are having it could be many things. I'm trying to figure out the best plan of action and narrowing down if it's one single part that's bad or a variety, such as viruses/bad hard drive for example.

Back
Top Bottom