My cpu gets hottt. Confused what to do, simple questions.

bobbocomp

Beta member
Alright I have a couple simple questions and I was hoping someone could help me out. My cpu gets quite hot under load (60°C). I began by installing a giant 90mm tornado fan along with a controller onto the front fan spot of the case hoping that would cool the whole case down along with the cpu. I failed to notice the giant ducting leading from the processor to the outside of the case, so basically the new tornado fan cooled down the case but not so much the processor because the its still taking in the same outside air as before.

Alright if your with me so far,
In order to cool down my processor should I:

1. hook up a fan controller to the cpu fan and turn that up (or under load is the fan already at max speed?)

2. put the tornado fan inside the duct blowing towards the cpu

3. get a new heatsink fan combo all together

any input is much appreciated

Ok first of all what processor do you have, Intels tend to run hotter than AMD (Except the conroe) 60 isnt really THAT bad... especially if its like a P4.

Are you Overclocked any?

Also what is the temp in the room its in?

also what Heatsink/Fan do you have on ur processor (Stock coolers definately arent the best, The AMD X2 and conroes have good coolers though)

Do you have a thermal compound like Artic Silver 5 or something like that applied to ur processor? That can reduce temps up to 10 degrees it self over a thermal pad or generic paste.

For a heatsink, probably the best air cooler out ther is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223

its expensive for a HSF but it has great results and its BIG!!!

the way i have mine set up is I took off my side air duct and glued it to a 90mm fan and screwed it to the side panel, so i got fresh air blowing directly onto my proc HSF.

i also have 4 other fans in my case i have a rear 120mm exaust fan, my PSU has a 135mm exaust, 2 90 mm side fans (One blowing on CPU and one on GFX Card) and a front 90mm intake... i idle about 34 and get about 45 on a 100% load

I totally forgot to list my specs. It is an intel p4 3.2ghz, not overclocked. The temp in the room I would say is average, maybe 72°. I have the stock cooler installed with the stock thermal pad and all that, no paste. I dont mind spending money on a good heatsink if that would be the solution, although that one is priced a tad high.

I would love to put my huge tornado on the side and blow air on the processor.
The only reason I havnt is because the tornado puts out so much more air than the processor fan and I figured it would mess up the flow or somthing between the two?

Bob thanks for your help and your case sounds amazing

If it is an LGA 775 (Prescott) check the mounts, that's the worst design I've ever seen, it has a propensity to let go, just check all four are properly engaged so the heatsink is making good contact with the cpu.

yea dillagaf its lga775 and those mounts absolutely SUCK. They are definitely on there, I messed with the damn thing for like a good hour making sure it was perfect. Ill double check tomorrow though.

Thanks setishock but I fully realize the effects of positive negative pressure etc. The case itself is plenty cool. There is a duct leading from the processor fan to the outside of the case. Therefore regardless of the case temperature the majority of the air temp going to the processor is from the outside.

Is this possible?: What I would really like to do is mount my tornado fan where the duct is now and when I want to game and stuff I would turn up the controller. Im still not sure what kind of effect would happen having a massive fan at high rpm/cfm blowing on the processor fan at a lower rpm/cfm. Any input?

Also will a fan controller increase the cpu fan speed a lot if turned up?

that ain't a bad temp for a presscot. Temps under 80C are not going to do any damage, though I suggest to keep the temp under 70C at all times. My cpu is running really hot too, it's a p4 3.0ghz northwood (I think it's running at 3.3ghz)
and with a decent zalman hsf I'm getting around 70C under 100% load. During the summer it went a little over 70C quite often, but now that it's winter and the room temp is lower I think I can keep it under 70C all the time.

So u really don't have anything to worry about, but if u want better temps then I'd just get a new hsf and some arctic silver 5. I'd suggest something from either zalman or scythe. But just beware if u decide to get scythe, atleast the scythe ninja (which is the only one from scythe I've had some experience with) is gigantic. But it does a good job at cooling down the cpu.

bobbocomp said:
I have the stock cooler installed with the stock thermal pad and all that, no paste.

I have but one suggestion. Apply thermal compound/paste. For like $6 off Newegg plus shipping, that would be the best thing you could do to help cooling for a mere $11 or so. My temperatures lowered about 5*C when I re-applied mine recently. And since yours runs what I'd assume to be proportionally hotter than mine, being a prescott, it may do even more than that. Link (So you don't have to click all that stuff to find it in Newegg)

I'd strongly recommend doing this before going out and buying a new heatsink. You might find out that you don't even need a new one. Applying thermal paste with a stock heatsink would probably be better than getting a new heatsink without thermal paste. If not, better price/cooling ratio.

And one last thing. In case you've never done it before, read the directions online first. Several people complain about not knowing how much to put on the processor, and they unload the whole tube practically onto it. Just a dot is all you need. If you've applied it before, sorry, just wanted to precaution you. And feel free to get a new heatsink as well to save on shipping, but I'd try this first personally.

As for a suggestion for a heatsink, I have this one, and it cools very well. Bad thing is, it's only for certain AMD processors. I think the equivalent for Intel lga775's would be this. It's even a more powerful fan. So that's what I'd go with, but feel free to differ. There are other good ones out there.

bobbocomp said:
Is this possible?: What I would really like to do is mount my tornado fan where the duct is now and when I want to game and stuff I would turn up the controller. Im still not sure what kind of effect would happen having a massive fan at high rpm/cfm blowing on the processor fan at a lower rpm/cfm. Any input?
I think you've just reached the "trial and error" stage, my sons pc has a similar ducting arrangement, I did place a fan between the case side panel and the duct (quick explanation here, there is a gap, approx 1" between the end of the duct and the cpu fan with this fan in place) and it seems to work fine. Providing there is an air gap between the duct and the cpu fan i don't see there being a problem, if you are really concerned about this and if you have a lower cfm fan than the tornado give that a try first, if it doesn't give the desired result then try the tornado. good luck

mammikoura said:
My cpu is running really hot too, it's a p4 3.0ghz northwood (I think it's running at 3.3ghz)
and with a decent zalman hsf I'm getting around 70C under 100% load. During the summer it went a little over 70C quite often, but now that it's winter and the room temp is lower I think I can keep it under 70C all the time.
Those temps are terrible. I have a zalman on my 3.2 Northwood and with an ambient air temp of 34C (yesterday) my cpu never surpassed 45C under full load (CoH, all settings on high), granted it's not oc'd at present but last summer (and it was a hot summer) when oc'd to 3.6 it never surpassed 55C. What's your case fan set up??

Back
Top Bottom