My computer will not recognize my hard drive

DtadaC99

Beta member
Ok, so I am attempting to extract files my friends hard drive. I can not use her computer because only one usb port works for some reason. So my first thought was I will just throw the hard drive into my computer because I have an ide connector to hook it up. Well once I did that my computer would no longer boot up. I went to the BIOS and deselected the drive from attempting to boot and I noticed that no matter what changes i made this hard drive became my primary drive because of the ide connection. So instead of messing with my BIOS even more i decided to go and buy an external closure for this hard drive. I plugged it in and the drivers for the hard drive installed but i could not access the drive anywhere. The drive comes up in my device manager, so therefor i know the computer sees it, but the drive does not pop up in 'My Computer' or disk management. I know the external closure works properly because i used another internal hard drive in five minutes before. The hard drive I am having problems with is a Samsung SP0802N, there is a jumper in there but i have not touched that yet. Also I am running windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Click Start, then right click on My Computer and go to "Manage".

Select Storage

Select Disk Management.

Right click on the disk and assign a Drive letter.

Click Start, then right click on My Computer and go to "Manage".

Select Storage

Select Disk Management.

Right click on the disk and assign a Drive letter.

The disk does not appear in the disk management, it appears in device manager though.

If the drive is not visible under Disk Management then there could be something seriously wrong with the drive. First make sure that the drive is connected correctly to your EIDE ribbon, is her drive set to Primary/Secondary/or CS?

It could be something as easy as that, but if you're certain that its correct then the drive is dead.

Back
Top Bottom