My computer is not working right.

Fully Optimized
I thought I would give it a while and see if my new computer would work right and so far, it just isn't. My problems so far are:
- I sporadically get overclock errors even though I have yet to overclock.
- My internet gives out on a regular basis and requires a restart to reconnect.
- Ever game I have installed get's random artifacts, or shuts down unexpectedly.

So far I have had recommendations about check out my CPU, and my RAM, maybe reinstalling my OS, and if it turns out, RMA'ing my motherboard. If anything, I'd want to reinstall my OS but I need to figure out what my problem is before I do anything. Any ideas to my problems?

Which one of the systems in your sig is the one having problems?

What do the "overclock errors" say exactly?

What type of internet connection are you using, integrated LAN or wireless?

Random artifacts and crashing in games usually points to an overheating or failing video card. Got the latest drivers?

Which one of the systems in your sig is the one having problems?

What do the "overclock errors" say exactly?

What type of internet connection are you using, integrated LAN or wireless?

Random artifacts and crashing in games usually points to an overheating or failing video card. Got the latest drivers?

The first one.

It just says overclocking failed. And I reboot and it boots up right.

I'm using wireless.

Well not ALL of my games have artifacts, just a couple. And I don't think it's a video card issue though because that shouldn't effect anything like my USB wireless or my overclock errors. Plus everything on my desktop is perfectly clear.

OK.

Do you have BIOS revision 0901? That's the one that adds support for the X4 940. You could try loading the fail-safe defaults in the BIOS.

What wireless card are you using? Are you using the card's software or Windows to establish the connection?

Just because things on the desktop look fine it doesn't mean the video card is having problems. You desktop isn't using 3D acceleration. Whenever you load up a game, the video card starts working extra duty to render the graphics, putting a load on the GPU and VRAM.

Well not ALL of my games have artifacts, just a couple. And I don't think it's a video card issue though because that shouldn't effect anything like my USB wireless or my overclock errors. Plus everything on my desktop is perfectly clear.

Just because things on the desktop look fine it doesn't mean the video card is having problems. You desktop isn't using 3D acceleration. Whenever you load up a game, the video card starts working extra duty to render the graphics, putting a load on the GPU and VRAM.

Sounds like a processor or motherboard issue. Do you have the latest BIOS that supports the new Phenom II series? Check underneath your processor for any bent pins. Take another processor out from another AMD build you have and try using that.

OK.

Do you have BIOS revision 0901? That's the one that adds support for the X4 940. You could try loading the fail-safe defaults in the BIOS.

What wireless card are you using? Are you using the card's software or Windows to establish the connection?

No I do not. I'll try doing that. How though?

I'm using this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124076

The weird thing is though, is the games I get the least artifacts on are the most graphic intensive.

You can update the BIOS using a utility called Asus Update. It will automatically download and update the latest BIOS file. It should have been included on the software CD that came with the motherboard. Otherwise, you can download it off their site. It's listed under "Utilities".

Hmm. . . I don't have any experience with a USB wireless adapter. Did you install the software and adapter as outlined in the instructions?

Got the latest drivers available from Nvidia? Hows the cooling on the thing?

63083 - arent you using windows 7? It seems to have issues with wireless....I can't keep my wireless connection up longer than 5 min with windows 7

YGot the latest drivers available from Nvidia? Hows the cooling on the thing?

The cooling on it is good. It's a single slot card, but it keeps cool and it does it well. I think the BIOS update will fix it. Whoever is above me is right about Windows 7 and wireless issues. I had the same problems with wireless and I had to reinstall Vista. Have you installed the chipset drivers?

You can update the BIOS using a utility called Asus Update. It will automatically download and update the latest BIOS file. It should have been included on the software CD that came with the motherboard. Otherwise, you can download it off their site. It's listed under "Utilities".

Hmm. . . I don't have any experience with a USB wireless adapter. Did you install the software and adapter as outlined in the instructions?

Got the latest drivers available from Nvidia? Hows the cooling on the thing?

that won't work with windows 7.... :\

Back
Top Bottom